Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the clever and persistent efforts of Kenny (AFGP9) we now know that the article on KleerPak's was published in the September 2016 issue of CTT. It is a good article worth reading. That article references an earlier one by Bob Tufts in the January/February 2005 issue of the S Gaugian. I have both of these magazines. If anyone wants to read the two articles and does not have access to those issues let me know and I will try to post them here.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It occurred to me to do the obvious and move my KleerPak pictures to this thread, here they are.

C100E981-3779-4995-B663-C5EB5D147EB1.jpeg
8B73BD61-B6DE-4930-84A4-053594B5A818.jpeg
108EDA27-D765-4958-8DCD-7F2D1567C4BE.jpeg
4DE9C46A-15BD-4008-8707-50DE6B50CEBB.jpeg

·
Registered
75 Posts
I appreciate the info about these packages. I had not heard or them until I saw your posts. I am not into collecting boxes, but the KleerPaks are really very attractive.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Thanks to the clever and persistent efforts of Kenny (AFGP9) we now know that the article on KleerPak's was published in the September 2016 issue of CTT. It is a good article worth reading. That article references an earlier one by Bob Tufts in the January/February 2005 issue of the S Gaugian. I have both of these magazines. If anyone wants to read the two articles and does not have access to those issues let me know and I will try to post them here.
After I read Roger Carp's answer to my question on the CTT forum, I got my September 2016 issue of CTT and turned to the KleerPac article. As I turned to page 50 what to my wondering eyes should appear but a picture of a 25515 U.S. Air Force Flatcar with Rocket Sled like the one you had posted. I especially like the listing there of all the KleerPac cars produced. The article attributes all of the models as coming from collector, Mark Speichert. Do you know him? As to the S Gaugian January/February 2005 issue containing Bob Tuft's article on the KleerPac, wouldn't you know that issue is missing from my collection. I suspect I pulled it out for just this reason--the KleerPacs. I found the two 2006 issues I saved out of the that year's issues on how to mate TMCC to the Gilbert American Flyer conventional engines. I was hoping that January/February 2005 issue was with those two but nooooo! It's somewhere to be sure. Now I have another search to conduct.
As a side note to all circus train owners, I ran across an article in the Jan./Feb. 2005 S Gaugian about how a circus collector took a below average mail pickup car, gutted it, painted it matching yellow using paint obtained from Portlines, added the appropriate matching lettering, added side boards over the opening and created a large animal circus car. He did the same with a heavy weight combination/baggage/coach/club car. Both of these cars looked as though Gilbert built them. Excellent idea.

Kenny

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I wish I had put all my KleerPak's in the same storage crate. I know I have three but there might be a fourth. I did not note KleerPak on my inventory.
I remember those circus cars but I do not see them in the Jan/Feb 2005 S Gaugian.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Now I wish I had put all my KleerPak's in the same storage crate. I know I have three but there might be a fourth. I did not note KleerPak on my inventory.
I remember those circus cars but I do not see them in the Jan/Feb 2005 S Gaugian.
Looks like I have made committed an error in my S Gaugian issue ID. The issue I was referring to was July/August 2009 not Jan/Feb 2005. Sorry for that. As I said, it is a great article on the addition of those 2 cars to a circus train. There is more in the article about circus items the author added to his very nice circus scene.

Tom I also ran across some issues of "Plastic Village Gazette". Are you familiar with that publication? I have the inaugural issue dated October 2000 plus a few others up to 2003. There are articles on all scales of Plasticville and other building manufactures. I really didn't take time to read much about all that these magazines contained. I honestly forgot I had them. Looks like a winter thing to me which might not be far off since there is a frost warning out for tonight. Not ready for that just yet!!!

Kenny

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Ok, I am a bit confused. Did the KleerPaks come from Gilbert or from Mark Spreichert. Who Packaged them? LOL, and where are the original boxes. J/K.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never heard of the Plastic Village Gazette. I do have several Plasticville price guides.
Lets clear up the confusion. Kleerpacks were made by Gilbert. Only a limited number of cars made in 1960 intended for separate sale were put in them. The intention was to make the product more visible to consumers walking through a hobby shop. The same cars when used in a set were packaged in standard red/white boxes. These two facts make KleerPaks rare and valuable.
Mark Spreichert was credited as the collector who provided the photography samples for the CTT article.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts