Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for opinions /suggestions on which adhesive ya'll prefer to use for kadee knuckle springs. I have a bottle of cyanoacrylate that is Labeled as a 'gap filling' formula. Not yet sure that I'd want to use that in this situation.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I always put just a little touch of that AC glue on the end of the spring to keep it from jumping out of the coupler.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Gap filling glue would fill the gaps in the spring, so I would not use that type.....

To be honest, the only time I've had to place/replace the spring into the coupler is when a spring is missing right out of the package.....I've never had a spring come out during actual use....

But maybe I'm just lucky.....:p

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
I would say you want thin CA (not the gap filling kind; I keep a bottle of each on hand). Put a small drop on the end of a toothpick and drop it on the end of the spring.

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
I agree with D&J. I used the gel type CA with
a toothpick to place a tiny dab on one end of the spring.
I never had a problem with it. Did not affect operation
of the knuckles. It's also helpful to do that on the nub
when installing a new spring...let it set before seating the
spring on the upper nub.

Backing a train too hard into a Kadee often causes
the spring to take wing...the glue ended that.

Don

·
Registered
9,897 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Greatful here. Gel type CA it shall be. "Now where are my 'readers'? Cannot see the tiny nubs without em."

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I think the only reason for the glue is to prevent its loss during insertion. There are probably other way to accomplish this without using glue, like putting a thread thru the spring and somehow removing it.

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
Old Hobo

I backed out so hard that I just gave up and sold
my layout. :sold: Well, that wasn't the reason,
I was just tuckered out and couldn't give it the TLC
needed. It now has a happy new owner now downstate.

Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts