Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Motors has announced that there will be a Hummer pick-up for next year. It will have an electric motor that will produce 1000 horsepower and 11,500 FP of torque. The test model goes from 0 to 60 in3 seconds.

Sounds awsome

Bill

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sounds crazy dangerous to me to put that much power in something with a CG as high as a Hummer. Maybe Spence will get one. The Superbowl ad should be interesting.
The commercial just ran. Yes, it SHOULD have been interesting, but.... I guess the era portrayed by Don Draper is long gone.

I think things got crazy dangerous the day the wheel was invented. Just a variation on the theme.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
At 1000 HP it will definitely pull an RV camper. I wonder how far?

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then you recharge the batteries!
Yep, thats why full electric vehicles are useless to me. Pretty hard to take one on a 2,000 mile vacation. Great for around town, but who wants to drive a Hummer in rush hour traffic or tight parking.

Bill

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I'm not interested in the Hummer. I'll stick with my low horse powered (797) redeye. What I'm really interested in is the new electric Mustang Mach. It's suppose to be out next year (2021) and have a 300 mile range. I'm extremely happy with my 2014 all electric Ford focus except for the range (75-95 miles).
We've put 43000 miles on it over the last 5 years. The most mileage I've ever put on a new car.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Nope.. you can go as far as you want to. The RV camper is where you keep the diesel generator to keep the batteries charged.;):D
I reckon it'd take quite a generator to run the charger that would keep the batteries charged for a 1000 HP motor!!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
ROFL...You'd need a small locomotive to run your pickup!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Why use an RV then, if you're going to have a running diesel generator in it....that's a waste of an expensive RV.....just use a large utility trailer.....:eek:hwell:
My neighbor has one of the large RV campers where the back of the unit has a large ramp door that comes down. It's powered. That's where they store their motorcycles when they take off for a couple of weeks.

This area is isolated from the rest of the unit which is kind of plush.

They take a generator with them.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
I'm not interested in the Hummer. I'll stick with my low horse powered (797) redeye. What I'm really interested in is the new electric Mustang Mach. It's suppose to be out next year (2021) and have a 300 mile range. I'm extremely happy with my 2014 all electric Ford focus except for the range (75-95 miles).
We've put 43000 miles on it over the last 5 years. The most mileage I've ever put on a new car.
I agree about electric cars,Spence. I've had one for seven years now and it is the best daily driving appliance I have ever owned. Also exceedingly dull, but people buy cars mostly for utility and at that, they do and will excel.

People who diss Evs miss the fact that their technology is improving - soon the the point where buying an electric rather than gas will be a no-brainer. Range is approaching 500 miles for premium models (top Cybertruck) and is about 400 for the Rivian pickup that soon goes on the market. Soon 350 miles will be the minimum. Acceleration? You literally cannot beat them with gas engines.

But a 1000 HP Hummer? Not my kind of truck. I like the Rivian alot though . . .

·
Registered
655 Posts
Here's my question about EVs. No matter what the range, near the end of the range it has to be recharged. How long does that take?

Even if it has a 400 mile range, if I take a 1000 mile trip, I have to stop and recharge twice. I'm pretty sure it will take longer than a gas stop to recharge. You can only charge a batteries so fast without damaging them and they are very large batteries in an EV.

·
Admin
43,173 Posts
I like the idea of an EV, but to find an SUV similar to my Nissan Rogue, I have to spend a ton of money, and even with gas at $5/gal, I'll never get the ROI for buying the EV. Until the most popular vehicle style is available in an EV for a lot less than twice the price of comparable gas vehicles, I'll be driving with gas.

I looked locally for any all electric SUV with 5 seats or more. The cheapest one was the Audi e-tron, MSRP: From $74,800. Reality has not set in for the EV makers as far as reasonably priced SUV type vehicles!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts