Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many trials and even more errors, I have a fairly acceptable Gold Bonnet B unit - a former PRR B unit. Apologies for no more info now, but I'm in a real bind at work and will be putting in about 50 hours this week. It will probably be a week or so but I promise to post a long discussion with photos and the details of what paint I used and such, and the results - warts and all. But it looks good - not factory perfect but better than I feared it might, two weeks ago when I started. A lot better.
Gold Bennet B.jpg

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
VERY nicely done sir!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
50 HOURS at work! That is WAY too much for guys of our age. I hope they're paying you overtime. :D

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
50 HOURS at work! That is WAY too much for guys of our age. I hope they're paying you overtime. :D
Yes, I'm making a lot of money, can't pssibly complain about that, and more important and why I'm doing this is that we're doing things that are almost certain to contribute noticeably to cleaner air and a better quality of life for our grandkids - really important technical work on driving adaptation of the power grid for a zero-carbon emissions world.

But its still work, and the downside is that it takes me away from my trains: and that hurts. I have four boxes of new "stuff" that arrived from pat's trains and Menards yesterday, sitting in the garage, and will be lucky if I get to open them up by Saturday. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
... we're doing things that are almost certain to contribute noticeably to cleaner air and a better quality of life for our grandkids - really important technical work on driving adaptation of the power grid for a zero-carbon emissions world...
My hat is off to you, thank you for helping change things for the better.

W

·
0 Posts
Hi Lee. Firstly, congrats and appreciation for the work you are doing to help our little blue orb!! Secondly, that B unit looks fantastic. It is as if it was meant to be all along. Thirdly, I wouldn't have a problem opening up those boxes for you. HA HA! Pondering the purchase of the Lionel Gold Bonnets. I would only buy two engines if I could as I prefer MTH Premier passenger cars. I came across MTH Premier GE passenger cars from Just Trains of Delaware. Since the train was for the GE promotion tour it might look kind of cool.

Best Regards,

Gary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm with the Gunrunner...open the boxes!

We do a lot of DG work in my office, so I can appreciate how busy things are. But after 45 years it's time to let the kids handle it. I've managed to cut back to 24 hours and there's still not enough time to get to the trains as I'd like to.

From what I've seen you probably have more energy than anyone on the Forum, but the grand kids and the trains are waiting, and tomorrow is promised to no one. Open the boxes!

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like a good match. I don't see any warts in those pictures.
Well, they are small and not too important when the unit is running or on the layout. I think it is acceptable. But still, the guy who builds it always sees the things he wishes had worked out better.

I hope and expect Pats Trains will offer factory B units. I'll be in for two there. Until then, I have this one, which is nice enough to run.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm with the Gunrunner...open the boxes! . . . Open the boxes!
Well, I did take a peek.

1) Got some of the MTH flatcars with the M10 Wolverine tank destroyers. Nice flatcars (expected). The Wolverines are big - they look to be 1:43 not 1:48 models - for some reason I was expecting them to be smaller. They are not the most detailed models in the world but very nice.

2) Got eleven on the new plated ATSF 18" passenger cars for my Super Chief. The one I took out to examine and compare (observation car) looks to be exactly like the (already nice) painted cars I had, but what a difference.
- Better lighting. Pretty sure that its LED but it no flicker and much more even.
- WOW Plating. The plating makes riviets and details stand out much more, and makes them just look so good. OMG!! Gorgeous.

Now, sigh, I have a four hour Skype conference this afternoon that will be sooooo exciting. At least I'm here at home and only presenting for a few minutes, so I can relax and look like a slob, at least.

C

·
0 Posts
Lee, the B unit looks great to me. The flaws must be very small and not easily seen. You've done another outstanding modeling job.:appl:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts