Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have spent several hours researching a lot of 4 HO wooden passenger car kits by Gold Cost Models of Carlsbad, California. One has already been assembled and painted while the other three are still in kit form unbuilt. I have included four pictures, thinking someone on the forum might know this company and something of these kits, age etc. Any help would be very much appreciated. The wooden boxes they are in are also a work of art with the sliding lids. Thanks for any insight you might have. I guess it takes awhile for the pictures to show up for a newbie. Question does not make much sense without the pictures.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Call "Gold Coast Station Train Store" in Tehachapi, CA. They seem to sell only G scale - but I don't have a better idea. :)

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Here's hoping Murv will chime in.....he's a kit guru, and will likely know of these kits....

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
The pictures you post show up instantly. If you
have posted, something went wrong as nothing shows.

To post a pic, you click on the paper clip next to the
smiley face above. It will give you a new screen
where you click on BROWZE. That will take you to
your computer's picture files. Select one and click
on open. Then upload. When you get back to your
original screen, again click on the paper clip to
finalize.

Don

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've got two passenger car kits like this with wooden top and bottom and tin sides, but the cardboard boxes they came in were unmarked and no directions. Here's a link to mine:
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=177778
The wood boxes yours came in seem an unnecessary expense, but you've got tags on them indicating they came with the kit.
Two requests, first can you give us the overall length of the car and second, can you get a picture of the instructions flattened out or a scan? Not to help you but like I said, my cars don't have instructions so I'd like to print them out and use them to assemble mine. If you don't want to no worries, I'll just print out what you've got there.
I did a search and there isn't a Grand AVE in Carlsbad CA or NM, but there is one nearby in San Marcos. It was probably a small manufacturer from God knows when who hasn't been in business for decades.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I pulled mine out and it's the same length but the ends are tin not wood and other details don't match so probably different manufacturers. Still, interesting kits.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Assuming that the 3.50 on the right hand label is a price, I'm thinking these might be from the 1950's or even earlier.

Street names do change from time to time, and there probably was a Grand Ave / St in Carlsbad at one time. A little research might reveal when that was, and that would help define the date of those kits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have scanned the 3 pages with this kit - and also included several more detail pictures of the one that was completed, the other 3 kits are unbuilt. I will also post later another model kit that I have 10 of that I think is closer to your picture.

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
The only reference I can find is this, there is a page 2 on the site.
Found it in the HO Seeker site.

Don't know if you ran across the site?
A link https://www.hoseeker.org/lit.html

You may want to bookmark it for future reference if you don't have it. A ton of HO info there.
For the N scale folks there is some good repair info for N scale there too.

The box and price screams late 40's or 50' to me?
I may be wrong.

If you ever find any more info on the company post it here.:smokin:

compendiumpassengercars1971pg1 (1).jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Big ED - I had never seen this site before, it looks like a treasure trove of information.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Since I have been here on the site I think Gold Coast Models came up once many years ago. The name rang a bell somewhere inside my brain. :)

I tried finding the thread but couldn't.
If I do I will post it here.

·
Registered
499 Posts
That's fantastic!. I have two without instructions and a observation car that matches the style I bought already built. I need two more cars similar and they're all going with a pair of New Haven FM diesels.
My sides are fluted but the only real worry I had was how to arrange the stuff on the bottom of the car. Thanks a bunch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts