Model Train Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have not run it. I do not have a layout or any track laid out. I got a 293 from flyernut
one or two months ago and I have not run it. Terrible. Its cold weather here and hope
to build my layout this spring. Lumber for the layout is in the garage and I have plenty
of track. I could use more of the K-Line wide curve track. I have 23 pieces but need 36
for what I want. My northerns will like the wide curve track. If anybody has some for sale I am a buyer.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mopac that is a great looking 335! The fact that there are no paint flaws makes it that much better. Like was already pointed out, a little white touch up on that wheel and it will never be noticed.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Kenny. I guess I should try some white paint. There is so many shades of white
paint. Don't want to make it look worse. I have even thought about pulling the wheel,
sending it to flyernut to put a new insulator, and then hoping I can reinstall wheel without
messing up the quartering. Better try paint first.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Thanks Kenny. I guess I should try some white paint. There is so many shades of white
paint. Don't want to make it look worse. I have even thought about pulling the wheel,
sending it to flyernut to put a new insulator, and then hoping I can reinstall wheel without
I think I have a wheel set for that too!. Already done..

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks flyernut. I better try some paint first. And see if I can live with it.
If I mess up the quartering then I am really in trouble. You don't have a quartering
jig for a northern. I think I can eyeball it good enough but I am not sure. Never
done it.

I can't believe I have 3 northerns and none have pulmor wheels.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mopac I have a white paint marker, or maybe you could call it a paint stick, that I picked up at Hobby Lobby some time back that is great for things such as that wheel. Since it is sort of pointed I have used it on several narrow edges such as the white stripe on locomotives that had small rub marks that needed touched up. Perfect match for those. As I recall, there were several different colors. Give it a try. What's the worse that could happen if it isn't a perfect match? That wheel area is small enough I doubt if anyone would notice.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Kenny. I think I will run by Hobby Lobby today. Worth a try.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
LOL, can't wait for Hobby Lobby to open

I found a little bottle of Testors white paint. It was dried up.
Also found a bottle of Testors thinner. I broke up some small
chunks of white paint and added thinner. It worked. Got some
paint out of it. Here is a before and an after pic. I think it is better
and more important is I can live with it. I used a tooth pick. I
use the 2 foot rule - If it looks fine from 2 feet away then it is fine.
And it does.

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

Not perfect but better. LOL, if you squint a bit it looks fine.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks Al. Gilbert track is 40 inch diameter and K-Line is 54 diameter. Not as tight of
a circle. Wider. Gilbert and K-Line connect to each other. And looks pretty much the same.
Welcome back.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, they are longer. Still takes 12 pieces to make a circle. Same as Gilbert.
Gilbert is called 20 inch radius. K-Line is 27. Longer locomotives like bigger
circles (curves).

·
Registered
838 Posts
And it does.

View attachment 521526

View attachment 521528

Mopac it looks good to me. Not only that, when it is running on the track, who will notice? I also subscribe to the 2 foot rule. I always try and get things looking the best I can. If something isn't 100% then the 2 foot rule applies!

Kenny

·
Registered
838 Posts
So the curved tracks r longer is that what u mean
If you can find the K-Line track you will love it for the wider, broader curve look. It just look better. All of my curves are K-Line. I bought mine back when it was still being produced. Now it can be hard to find and maybe a little pricey but worth it.
Train shows and eBay are your main sources.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I am sure I will like the K-Line curves. It is hard to find. I check ebay everyday for it.
Some will show up. I got 14 pieces off ebay and 9 pieces from flyernut. I always have my eyes and ears open for it. My northerns will run on the Gilbert track but you can tell it is a bit tight. For my new layout (if I ever get it built) I want 2 loops of it. And 2 loops of Gilbert. Layout will have an offset so I need 36 pieces of K-Line. 13 more to go. The 14 pieces off ebay came from a train shop in Ohio. I still have not checked at local train shops around here. Need to do that. I was at a train show 2
months ago. A seller had a few pieces of AF stuff. I asked him if he had any K-Line track. He said "you know, I think I do in
a box under the table". I got all excited. Turned out to be K-Line 3 rail O gauge track. There was a seller on ebay that had some. But it was brand new track and he wanted more than I wanted to pay. LOL, he was proud of it. He did sell it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
And it does.

View attachment 521526

View attachment 521528

Looks fine mopac. In a pinch you can also use a gel type CA or epoxy to fill in any cracks and if the insulators are the bright white ones, a white out pen for corrections on documents works well.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts