Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought it at factory direct trains. Never used them but they are shipping. The had the Australian paint job left so I got it. I opened the box. I looked at it. It's a so called "Genesis 2.0". I'm not sure what this means. It's got a lot of details. Looks nice from 6". I haven't run it yet. I have my eye on that sd60 triclops after it comes out because the hubs rotate. Silly really. It's another Genesis 2.0 model.

Took some (not that great of pics) finally.

front.jpg

And side-ish:

side.jpg

And near back:

sideback.jpg

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The roof comes off and you can see inside. Held in place with little magnets. There's no toilet though. Something I learned on one of these TV shows recently where I guy rides some engines across the US. There's a toilet in there somewhere. Also apparently you can open the door on the cab the front and this is how you get into them. I had no idea. I thought you went through the back or side.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still looking at it but does look a little plain. I agree there. I noticed one window in the rear is not quite glued in right and both are a little dirty.
Everything else seems decent enough. I have to use a magnifying glass to really look at the details though. And haven't powered it up either.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a little hard to find good photos. There are quite a few clean pics. But the operating for awhile are not so prevalent. But I managed to find a few and they appear to collect a reddish orange dust on their tops.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to report that the fine detail written items that are printed on this model are all mostly illegible when magnified. It took me awhile to find a magnifier on hand that can zoom in close enough to read them.

What it appears to be is the letters are in the rough shape of real letters -- and so the brain from 6" or so puts them into letter like details -- tries to assemble it into something that is really written. But at least I could not read them once magnified and do not think they are real letters.

I used a pocket microscope I got for the kids some time back -- there's not much to it & so I'm willing to concede it might have its own issues. If I find better a better magnifier I'll try again.

I knew you wanted to know that!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Very nice engine! The design lines of the car body are really cool. I like the look of the huge radiators. The paint scheme, being Australian, is interesting too.

Toilets on these locomotives are usually located in the nose section in front of the cab. You open a door and step down.

We once had engines built by EMD that were called ALP44s. They were small electric locomotives that were basically the same as Amtrak AEM7s. The toilet was located in the middle carbody with nothing around it. Talk about lack of privacy! You could sit there and view all the machinery and electronics, hoping no one came through the engine...

Tom

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems pretty nice -- its not really my first choice in terms of paint scheme but it was more about price point when I bought it. But I haven't even got power to it yet so don't know what it sounds like etc. There's actually a pretty good website with info on the railway -- but there's no direct way to contact anyone. There's several nice pics of these and I found one or two when it was coming out of the paint shop, which was done here in the states... No info on the toilets though!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I started by it up finally. It's a huge sound. [Tried to upload a short vid but it's too big for this server... Working on it]

·
Registered
871 Posts
LOL Pottygate 2020... I never really heard of FMG but I see that it is quite a socially and environmentally responsible entity in addition to being quite profitable!
I actually like the paint scheme, kind of minimalist and pleasing to the eye. It's a sweet model, anyhow!!!
"The railway's 240-wagon iron ore trains are amongst the heaviest trains in the world" from Wiki...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I decided to order something right as all the shops closed -- so this was is from FactoryDirectorTrains or somesuch. They had a limited selection and since I could find an actual picture of this one -- went for it. I really don't know anything much about FMG at all except they are in australia and pull very long ore trains as you said. i put two bachmann ore cars i have on it, but they look rather shrimpy behind it. and that's all i've done so far. i have some larger box cars and things.. maybe some modern tank cars. don't have them though.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Re "the toilet"...

It's probably located in the short hood, a small "outhouse-type" configuration.
Unless the short hood can be lifted off or "looked into" with the cab roof off, you're not going to see it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts