Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy are they nice. Now I have to go get some lubricants to lube them up per instructions before running them, so will be doing that this week end. Took a few pics with lousy lighting.

Paul

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
Sweet!:thumbsup:

Pictures look fine.

They look like they were never used!:D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments guys. Can't wait to get these things running. I was just reading some of the paper work and noticed that a transformer of at least 90 watts should be used. I have the Lionel 80 watt. Am I going to have to go get a bigger transformer?

Paul

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. Can't wait to get these things running. I was just reading some of the paper work and noticed that a transformer of at least 90 watts should be used. I have the Lionel 80 watt. Am I going to have to go get a bigger transformer?

Paul

Get the biggest you can afford. Then you won't have to worry about it again.

Use the 80 to power accessories and save the big one for just the trains.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get the biggest you can afford. Then you won't have to worry about it again.

Use the 80 to power accessories and save the big one for just the trains.
Beings this is up around the ceiling, I wasn't planning on adding accessories and had hoped that the 80 watt would power the train, if not, since I haven't taken it out of the box yet, maybe I can get the LHS to take it back and order a little bigger one if this one won't do it.

Paul

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
Beings this is up around the ceiling, I wasn't planning on adding accessories and had hoped that the 80 watt would power the train, if not, since I haven't taken it out of the box yet, maybe I can get the LHS to take it back and order a little bigger one if this one won't do it.

Paul
It's worth a try if they take it in on a trade.
Mine would probably do it.

My two 80 watts I got on eBay. For accessories.

My ZW 275 watts I got on eBay.
For the trains.

I got others of smaller watts all sizes, DC & AC of all ages, forgot whats in the box.:D

I looked at the 80's when they fist came on the market in the LHS they wanted around $90 bucks.

Bids on e bay were starting at $15.00 most ended up around the $50 buck mark. Some going for $115 bucks!:rolleyes::laugh:

I got one for around $25.00 and the other around $35.00 (W/T ship)
Good deal at the time. :cool::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Big Ed,

Those are good prices ($25 / $35) for a CW-80 ... I bought a new one on ebay a couple of months ago for around $60 plus shipping.

Paul, as far as your locos go, maybe try the 80 at first, and see how it goes. If you're not running any accessories, then you have no power-load loss from that. Give it a shot, I'd say.

Good luck,
TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,982 Posts
Big Ed,

Those are good prices ($25 / $35) for a CW-80 ... I bought a new one on ebay a couple of months ago for around $60 plus shipping.

Paul, as far as your locos go, maybe try the 80 at first, and see how it goes. If you're not running any accessories, then you have no power-load loss from that. Give it a shot, I'd say.

Good luck,
TJ
It took a while to get them at those prices as I put in $35 top bids.
I lost a bunch, then bidders seem to slow down for a while.
When I finally won I had two different auction bids in and I won them both that's why I got two.

That is my luck......if I bid one at a time I probably wouldn't have won any.:laugh:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big Ed,

Good luck,
TJ
Gave it a try today, just the powered unit and the dummy, and so far so good except I have one curve that it slows way down on, or stops, depending on how fast it's going. Tomorrow I'll pull that curve section and check for tightness of the track pins and make sure it is solid. I used 18 gage wire and think I'll change to 16 gage and add a couple feeders as I've got approx. 40' of track. When the locos are running right I'll add the weight of the rail cars and see what happens.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts