Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I picked up the mini hi cube, I broke a piece off. That's another to fix now. But overall they are very nice and seem exactly like ExactRail platinum. Do they come from the same supplier? I can't tell them apart in any meaningful way. Is it possible? I went over samples of each literally with a magnifying glass. But I believe I need a loupe.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Well, they are two different companies, but they could very well have been made the same factory.....I don't know what you mean by "supplier".....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Contractor. All this stuff is contracted out. Same outfit maybe? I have to look more closely. I really need a better magnifying set up.

Also for the money, I'd like a parts diagram.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No I'm afraid it's genetic. (Edit)

Manta btw says 2 employees and 200k or so in revenue at exactrail. Can that be right? A website, a bunch of railroad books and materials, a cad/cam, a short term loan, a contractor in china.... And a lot cardboard boxes and shipping tape.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
While things may be made in the same factory, generally speaking, the "manufacturer" will own the tooling and the design data, and be responsible for quality control.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was poking around. Tangent has similar sales, 3 employees. (So to be fair I have no idea how this info is obtained by these websites or accuracy). Meanwhile injection molding runs from end to end services to make the mold for you and ship.
The nice thing about cars is no other kinds of parts. I mean you don't need pcb boards, LEDs or speakers. There's no manual of operation, manual of sound or parts diagram. And this is nice because in theory you aren't as dependent on co located businesses.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Don't forget the assembly of the model in the factory.....after all these cars start out as kits, and put together and sold as RTR.....sometimes offered as kits to put together your self, I think Tangent offers kits.....

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Contractor. All this stuff is contracted out. Same outfit maybe? I have to look more closely. I really need a better magnifying set up.

Also for the money, I'd like a parts diagram.
If by "outfit", you mean factory, then yes.....if these cars are too tough for you to see, there's always Bachmann, as Latestarter said, or maybe even old Lifelike....:LOL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts