Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
The Wolverines are a little large but look good to my eyes. $87 seems like a fair price considering you are getting a flat car plus 2 tanks.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The Wolverines are a little large but look good to my eyes. $87 seems like a fair price considering you are getting a flat car plus 2 tanks.
I agree Joe. When I saw them in the catalog, I just turned the page (that’s what I do when I see a freight car for $99). But when I think about it, a Menards long flat car plus two Tamiya Sherman kits comes to around $75. I can probably get a single MTH car (20-95326) for $95. I might just pick one up.

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree - you will spend ten dollars in time putting the two kits together and painting and lettering them. On the other hand, one or two might be fun to put together.

I did some research and found out that the M10 had much the same chassis as the Sherman - in other words it was the same size lower body, so the models, if the same scale, would be roughly the same size. I found and bought a 1:48 M10 Tamiya kit for $23 plus 6$ shipping just to see what one looks like in that scale.

C

·
0 Posts
I agree Joe. When I saw them in the catalog, I just turned the page (that’s what I do when I see a freight car for $99). But when I think about it, a Menards long flat car plus two Tamiya Sherman kits comes to around $75. I can probably get a single MTH car (20-95326) for $95. I might just pick one up.
Bob, I just looked and a 14" Menards flat car is $29.99 and a Tamiya 1/48 Sherman tank has a list price of $33. That totals $96 for a flat car and 2 tanks so $87 is very reasonable and it comes ready to run, no assembly necessary.

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a Tamiya 1:48 model kit of the M10 Wolverine and assembled it Saturday afternoon, deliberately leaving off all the tiny (less than 1/8 inch long) parts (towing hooks, marker lights, etc) so the level of detail was close to that of the MTH M-10s.

Here you see the 1:48 scale M-10 on the right, the 1:43 MTH M-10 on the left, and two more of them on the flatcar in the background.

I did a bit of research: the M-10 Wolverine used the same basic chassis as the Sherman tank, with a slightly larger upper body. But at 1:43, the MTH M-10s are almost exactly the size of the Patton tank, a much larger tank than the Sherman.

Unless a person really wants 1:48 models, I can't see any reason to buy and assemble them rather than get the MTH. They are good models and you certainly won't save any money buying two kits and a flatcar individually, versus shopping around for a good deal on the MTH package.

1-43 vs 1-48 M-10 Wolverine.jpg

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the eye sees but the mind thinks in "3D"--> 10% longer, 10% wider, and 10% taller is 133% bigger. That is a whole lot bigger. But I like the bigger ones for flatcar loads. I am very pleased with the four-car set.

W

·
0 Posts
Yes, there is a noticeable size difference. They do look really good though. Decent enough detail. I see what you mean about the markings and the drive wheels.

Enjoy,

Gary.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I just picked up one of the Wolverine flat cars. I was impressed by the level of detail on the tanks as I wasn’t expecting it. What impressed me more though was the level of detail in the packing. The machine guns were protected by foam, the tanks were wired to the flat car and there was padding to keep the wire from chafing the tanks and the flat car. There was padding between the tanks and cardboard around the couplers. There was also extra padding glued to the Styrofoam to keep the tanks from rattling around in shipping. I have never seen this level of care taken in packaging any freight car. Or for that matter any passenger car or loco. I imagine the care that went into the packing adds a small amount to the price, but it’s worth it since you receive a nice car with good detail that isn’t broken.

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3473.JPG

·
Registered
987 Posts
Lee,

I am glad you posted the review, thanks. I had planned on buying this car at York.

1:43 vs. 1:48 can make a big difference.

I just measured my MTH Premier Sherman’s, they are 2” wide and 5” long. What are the dimensions of the M10s?

Sherman:

DF4C5AEC-3991-453D-B9AD-43601EBDC98B.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts