Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent December online ad in San Jose, CA listed a Lionel "O" gauge diesel for sale for $40. I called the number and a very old guy answered. He could barely speak but
eventually agreed to meet me at a local hardware store to show me the engine.
I almost missed him but spotted an odd colored diesel under his arm and hailed him just as he was leaving. He showed me a Lionel 2359 Boston & Maine GP-9. It looked pretty rough but I gave him the $40 and he disappeared. The shell on the engine was covered in dust and dirt but had no cracks or broken window struts. I was convinced that this engine had not run in at least 40 years. I took the shell off at home and the motor was entirely coated with dust, hair and unidentified gunk. There were several broken wires too, but there was no significant rust on the frame. Well, a couple of hours of work and... this is the FASTEST engine I have ever run on my layout! Greased lightening! Two blazing headlights, a soon-to-be repaired horn. E-unit cycles like it was brand new. Lord, what a Christmas present.
It just doesn't get any better than this... :)

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Resurrected GP-9 Images

Here she is... what a paint scheme, eh?

gp-9_2.JPG

gp-9_1.JPG

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had never seen the Boston & Maine paint colors except in magazines. The B&M GP-9 certainly stands out among my other Lionel equipment. Also, I didn't mention that I purchased another MRC Pure Power Dual in November in the original box for $113 including shipping. The transformer's main coil assembly was loose inside the case but the strategic placement of a couple of dielectric shims solved that problem. Now I can run 4 trains at one time: just like a real railroad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts