Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this GP 9 a couple weeks ago at a train swap meet in San Bernardino CA at the Santa Fe train Depot. It came disassembled in a box. The frame is a Atheran the shell is a Trains Unlimited and the motor is a Buhler.

I did some milling on the frame to get the motor to fit without shorting out on the frame. The motor is siliconed to the original Athearn motor mount. The shell has been media blasted and primed. I broke 2 of the plastic truck side frames trying to remove them so I could solder some wire for 4 wheel pickup and DCC.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Those plastic side frames will do that. Often people glue them on. PM your address & I will send you two good ones

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those plastic side frames will do that. Often people glue them on. PM your address & I will send you two good ones
Hi ggnlars, Thank you for the offer, however I have already ordered 4 pieces on Ebay and they should arrive today. This will leave me 2 extras in case I break another one.

Ed

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been awhile since I have worked on the GP-9. So in these last few days I installed the plastic side trucks that I broke trying to remove them. The trucks are now painted with grimy black. The shell is now painted gray with the yellow on the front and rear. I also installed a bar in the cab window and started to install decals.
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Is that going to be an L&N locomotive?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi MichaelE, I am painting the GP-9 gray and yellow for a fictional RR called South West. The paint color I am using is a match for the Erie Lacawanna RR. I am glad you mentioned the L&N RR I looked up pictures of their diesel livery and they used the same colors for the early diesels.
Ed

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not to nitpick but the L&N yellow/gray scheme was one of the last, most modern schemes they used. I think the last one before Family Lines was all gray.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a picture of the Trains unlimited shell. It comes with all the railing, number boards and light lens's. You have a choice of dynamic brakes or not. The part I really like is the control cab is separate which make it easy to detail. It is my understanding they are no longer made but are still available sometimes on Ebay. These shells were originally made by Front Range Products. When they went out of business they were made by Trains Unlimited.

If you have one of their shells from either company post a picture of it here. I would like to see what some of the others look like.
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finished installing all the decals. and I repainted the fuel tank and trucks, they look much better painted gray, you can see all the detail. They were painted with grimy black. I also installed sun shades on the cab. I still have to install windows, front and rear light lens's, LED's, railings and the DCC decoder. When the GP 9 is completed I will repaint the trucks and fuel tank on the GP 20.
6.JPG
7.JPG

Ed

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Wow! That looks great! Nice work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After installing the decoder there was a lot of vibration when running. I found the motor mount that came in the box of parts did not hold the motor tight. I could put a finger on each flywheel and rock the motor up and down. So I removed the rubber mount and made a block of wood to replace it. The motor is siliconed to the wood and the wood is held in place with short screws. The shell now has the windows installed and the lights front and rear. I also mounted a fire cracker antenna on the cab. The decoder and wiring are also installed.
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the GP 9 is completed. I added all the railing and some MU hoses to the front and rear. I still have a little bit of rattling going on in the drive shafts that connect to the worm gear. The spline shaft seems to fit rather loose in the female fitting. Are there different styles maybe older or newer styles? I could use some suggestions on how to take care of this problem.

I hope somebody has and answer, Ed
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts