Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the smooth sided covered hoppers, grain hoppers?
If so would you say the new atlas hoppers are good?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes there are smooth sided grain hoppers. I have a few Atlas hoppers and i find them to be pretty good, but if you are into detail i highly recommend the Athearn Genisis Line.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
That description might also match a cement car---these are S Scale cement cars.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
run and hide! the Resurected are coming!

Brandon, the OP asked his question year and a half ago. i'd think he probably already got his answer .

but as far as i read they are not "grain hoppers" per se but rather 3 or 4 bay covered hoppers. when new they will cary grain and bean and such. as they age and no longer meet sanitary requirements they will get degraded to non foods loads such as plastic pellets (although i hear dedicated cars are made for specifically that load), and as EOL date nears even non full loads of sand and cement. or so i read

·
Registered
762 Posts
Woah I didn't know about that.

I have a question related to this. What size metal wheels work best for cylindrical hoppers 33 or 36?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for that bit of information I really didn't know that. That's quite interesting and as always I am open to any corretions on any errors I make. So thanks again

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Tankist, that caught my interest...why would freight use a smaller size? I would have thought a larger diameter would give a bigger footprint to spread the weight. What am I missing?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I bought 36 and they fit my Athearn cabooses and one Athearn tank car just fine but were tight on the Model-Power cylindrical hoppers. But the trucks could have been just too old to bend to fit them in...I don't know.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Brandon, when I first got on MTF, I kept answering year-old stuff, too. *L* When you're interested in something, it's hard to remember to check how old it is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats very true, so thats why i appreciate all your help. I would be lost without the help of a veteran like you on this site. So once again i look forward to hearing more from you, and im def gonna keep in mind to check the dates lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts