Model Train Forum banner

781 - 800 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Well you sure have done a lot to it then. I'm trying to enlarge the picture to see the details better but that doesn't want to work. Any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tejas, looks great, where are you located. I am in Taylor, built a modified GG&N that is 5X10. I built it so it can be split in half for moving and have done it a couple times. Using DCC, set up with JMRI on a laptop for the turnouts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jerry, just looked at your link to Dibbles. I said open since 2013???? I used to live in San Antonio but before 2013 and remeber Dibbles. Is this a second version??

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #786
Same family but I think in a different location. They have been in business a lot longer than since 2013.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tejas, looks great, where are you located? I am in Taylor, built a modified GG&N that is 5X10. I built it so it can be split in half for moving and have done it a couple times. Using DCC, set up with JMRI on a laptop for the turnouts.
Thanks. Just north of you in Belton. I need to drive to Taylor to look at your layout soon, or come on up to see my version. I didn't know my layout was a plan. My cousin found the original plans from an Atlas design book dated 1958. It has been fun to find the history of the layout. The only issues I'm having are the grades and the wiring needs updating. My grade are north of 2.5% Any loco struggles with a load up the hill. I bought an old MRC DCC system and it works great. Half is DCC while the other half can be either DC/DCC. I have some Blue BoxLocos that I still like to run. Just need to convert them over to DCC. I can order decoders but trying to support local shops so I'm waiting until I can get to Houston or Dallas to buy. Still trying to settle on which decoders. Do you have a favorite? Love to pick some up used.)

In the future. I would enjoy finding another old layout and putting the two together.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tejas, sounds like a plan. For a layout this small I use Digitrax Zephyr. Fair warning, I really do not get into scenery, more into just running and electronce, so, mine is bare except for a few buildings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sat down and ran three and four trains tonight on the railway. There isn’t too difficult but four gets a bit hectic. I pinky have four DCC locos so that’s the maximum I can run at any one time.
I ordered some basic decoders this week and will start converting my blue box locos. It is going to be fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same family but I think in a different location. They have been in business a lot longer than since 2013.
Jerry, I’m looking to build a JRMI program track. Basically, all I need is a computer, JRMI program, an interphase like a PR4 and a short bit of track. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #793 (Edited)
That should do it. I use a spur track on the layout that is double insulated and a DPDT switch to feed main or program power to it. That way I can run the loco in and out of the spur when I want to program it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Converted my first blue box loco to DCC using decoders from xlsystemsdcc.com. Hard to find room in this little switcher but made it work. Still need to work out lights. Do you use the bulb or convert to LED?
A24B2FAC-D97D-435B-B8EF-5685946D08B5.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
This will be my first model railroad. I did put an HO oval on a piece of 4x8 once when my children were young that the Christmas tree centered in, but I considered that a toy train. My, how things have changed in the last 30 + years.

When I was a child, my father started but never completed the Central Midland. I wanted the GG&N. He won the discussion. I made up my mind 47 years ago that I would build one someday. That day has come. It is probably too much for a first timer, but this what I want. We will see.

I spent the first 2 months reading all I could while redesigning the original Atlas plan. This includes 22 minimum radius, less than 3% grades, semi-portable, reduced busy look, DCC, and completely automated computer contol.

I am not into operations, so the design is to display and let 'em run. Ultimately, I hope to have 2 trains, running in opposite directions, on each mainline and a local freight interspersing between both mainlines. With the mountain area covering half the mainlines, it should be quite fascinating to watch. With three passing tracks and computer control I think it can be possible.

I started construction 2 months ago. Please look at the pictures and give your experienced opinions. I may have gone too far already to correct any serious problems. The track is not tested and no scenery is done yet. This is my last chance to fix a poor plan.

I love those old Atlas track plans, when I was a teen I always wanted to build the Central Midland, even started buying Atlas track and components for the project, but never did it, I actually still have a bunch of Atlas controllers and such still in the packages from back then, I’ve even considered updating that plan and building it now, you got a beautiful looking setup there

781 - 800 of 803 Posts