Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it is called Union Station. So I'm plugging these shows (unseen) on Grant having actually slogged my way through the 1000 page tome of the same name by Chernow. It was in fact a good read but it's not easy to stick with it after the well known exciting bits. (Literally started it at Thanksgiving and finished in Feb.)

So not gonna read it? ... Here's some shows that could do it for you instead.

(And if you must must know. My tree has some on both sides ...)

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
I liked the book too, but I do agree that it was long, and at times, boring. Still, I learned alot about a very complex man who did a lot of good in spite of his Presidency often being called the most corruption in American history.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that some of Grants presidency was well boring, reflected in the book. To me the book tried to resurrect or revive Grant as one of the greats. It made a solid case. My simplistic take on Grant:

• he was a failure in private life
  • he was largely a functional alcoholic
  • if he had any "genius" -- he seemed to be able to look over the horizon a little beyond his contemporaries. he used this to win the war, push reconstruction, and promote a few interesting foreign policy ideas.
  • he had a fatal flaw in trustiness of close associates that dogged him his entire life
  • none of the generals in the war on either side, including him knew how to deal with the overwhelming firepower of the well formed defensive line. this stayed with us through WW1...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts