Model Train Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you Michael and Joe )

Separation between levels ended up at 9.75 inches. I still have reasonable clearance for rolling stock handling on lower level as the top surface is only 2.5 inches thick including the foam.

Lenonhawk, helix is R24. Tested to be sufficient to pull longest train I would want to store on bottom

Progress :
Mainline underlayment is glued. I'm still debating on exact location and shape of industry sidings to the north of the mainline.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Cardboard lattice is time consuming to create, but it is strong and semi-rigid even before the outer terrain covering is affixed.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
with most of the trackwork complete i'm focusing on wiring and electronics. desided to keep the digitrax decoder to drive the 4 peco coil switch motors I have in engine yard. decoder will only be used as capacitor discharge unit. rest of the turnouts use servo motors and are driven with 3 PCA9685 controllers connected to dedicated Arduino Nano as interface. Same Arduino will command the DS64 via opto-isolated circuit. created a quick sketch testing connectivity to JMRI via C/MRI - its a GO.

not so good on the detection side. as documented by other modelers ACS712 sensors are just not sensitive enough , current that typical HO engine pulls is barely above noise level of those devices (I did attempt noise filtering). not sure how I missed that fact while researching :( already took the wires out but decided to take a picture before removing the devices.
plan B is Current Transformers. Ordered, but it looks like there are significant delays getting stuff from corona-virus'ed China.

installed and stained most fascia boards and toned down that hot pink insulation some - now things look a bit more civilized.
Installed Dell all-in-one PC on a pivot mount. will serve as decided JMRI PC, digital touchscreen control panel and makes for a very convenient workstation for everything programming. youtube music - bonus :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
That's coming along very nicely.

I made up those same type of buss bars for my B-727 cockpit build years ago.

I had one pair each for 5VDC, 12VDC, 28VDC, and 115VAC.

They sure are handy.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
TY Michael

I made up those same type of buss bars for my B-727 cockpit build years ago.
cockpit?! i have to see it! do you have a thread on that in the off-topic section by a chance?

my efforts on that front are below.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Lufthansa Boeing 727-231 Most parts came from retired American 72's from the Airline Pilot's Historical Society in St. Charles, Illinois and from several regular sellers on e-bay. It was dismantled when I bought my current home and sold off.

I had planned on rebuilding it, but flying it was what I really wanted to do. I wasn't really into building it. It was a means to an end. Although I seriously miss flying it, I don't miss building it. Took me seven years.

The flight model was Paul Golding's Greatest Airliners 727. Extremely accurate.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
installed and stained the drawers. exterior is now complete, wife no longer complains that things look like construction site.

still trying to figure out possible angles to take ok pictures of the entire thing.
lighting is quite bad. since I have a suspended ceilings i'm considering something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DF9N6YT but it looks like reliability is meh and CRI is unclear. any ideas on lighting?

·
Registered
56 Posts
First thought on lighting is a recessed LED strip along the two long back edges about 2 feet above the layout and hidden under a lip so that the light only falls as far the front edge of the layout. However I see you have windows on the back wall on the right hand side so that wouldn't work there. Maybe light poles in scale like they have at car dealer back lots - really tall poles with about 5 or 6 floodlights that cover a wide area but on your layout they might be 2 ft tall with led strip lights under a hood at the top of the poles. The LEDs would shine down on the layout but wouldn't be seen directly by anyone sitting next to the layout. Those could cover the peninsula also.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I'm using a single fixture 200 watt LED cob bulb. It lights the room nicely, but it could be brighter if my ceilings weren't 9'

I thought about a hi-intensity work light overhead to simulate daylight, and I used a couple outside the simulator a few times to simulate sunlight. It worked well up close, but generated too much heat in an already warm environment with all of the computers and power supplies running while the simulator was up.

I may hang a second ceiling fixture for a second 200 watt LED cob type bulb.

These burn very cool and only consume 35 watts.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts