Free Test Track - Test Run Your Trains at the Show
Free Door Prize Giveaways
Plus Much, Much More!
Exibitors links: Exhibitor Area

Look for me at the show!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I sure do miss that show. Lived a couple miles from there for years.
Haven't been to a show since moving to Knoxville. :(

Reactions: SF Gal

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Same here. At one time I lived a quick 4 miles from the DuPage Fairgrounds and never missed a train show. That 4 miles has become 2,200 miles and now I miss them all, and I really do miss them.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have been wanting to go to one of those DuPage County shows for a number of years now! But at about 500+ miles away for me, it would have to be an extended weekend mini-vacation. Still, it's on my radar for 'someday', whenever that happens.

Too bad it's not a 2 or 3 day show, then it would really be worthy of vacation status. I suppose since it was always a monthly show for a long time (and hopefully getting back to that), I can see from a business standpoint of it just being a one-day event. Why mess with success?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a nice show, a little smaller than normal but there was a lot of deals to be had.
I took a few pictures of the show, this was the east building, not the main floor building....
Outerwear Motor vehicle Automotive design Customer Selling

I was looking at a bunch of American Flyer stuff to gauge an approximate value of the pieces I have in my possession.
Train Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Toy

Locomotives were $130 -$50 depending on the size and condition....
Train Red Railway Rolling stock Engineering

A dealer here, family liquidating there a few layouts set up, and a lot of families with kids....
Jeans Luggage and bags Jacket Sneakers Customer

American Flyer cars were $50-$30, in the original box....
Passive circuit component Circuit component Computer hardware Electronic engineering Electronic component

They had AF buildings and scenery too....
Selling Whole food Retail Publication Market

I really liked the cute AF billboards!
Urban design Audio equipment Table Office equipment Font

Seeing a lot of stuff in orginal boxes was really amazing. AF transformers made me *giggle* at the design and size, track of every size imaginable....
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering Machine

Besides getting a idea of what my American Flyers are worth, I was looking for true HO scale street vehicles, a Santa Fe passenger car consist, and sweet deals!
My score less than $120. I will have to spend about $30 on coupliers and metal wheel sets.
Bumper Tool Automotive exterior Auto part Luggage and bags

I spent a little over an hour there and was gone by 11am. I haggled with a vendor over a 4 car passenger consist but he wouldn't come down to my offer of $35...so I ended up getting 5 cars (2 are lighted) of $40. The station wagon vehicles were 5 for $25, and a no box 6 vehicles were $20. Train placemat was $3,caboose $2 with coupliers, crane $4, Athern DC Engine (had it tested before I bought) $25, I'll DCC it myself. The SF cap I wore to the show.
All and all, it is worth the trip to save a lot of money on stuff...I very rarely go to local shops unless I need something specific. Sorry I missed you as I didn't meet anyone from the forum. :)

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi SF Gal, We are moving to Milwaukee in April and Wheaton is a stones throw away. Looks like a nice show with good selection. I've marked this show on my calendar reminder and thanks for the photos!! Oh and thanks for the Website info...locked and loaded!! (y)

·
Registered
Ohio Central Systems
1,511 Posts
If I was closer, I'd go, but it would be a good 6-7 hour drive.

There is a small train show in Springfield, Ohio this Sunday. It's only an hour drive, so I plan to go there and see if I can source some stuff and save shipping costs. Pretty sad when I'm willing to drive an hour, each way, just to save shipping costs... The other day, I almost bought some inexpensive stuff online, but the shipping cost more than the product... A LOT more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
DuPage Event Center & Fairgrounds
2015 Manchester Rd Wheaton, IL, US 60187
March 6th 2022
SUNDAY FROM 09:00-15:00
Show Features:
Hundreds of Tables of Trains for Sale
Exhibitors from Across the Country
Huge Operating Model Train Displays
Free Workshops and Demonstrations
Free Test Track - Test Run Your Trains at the Show
Free Door Prize Giveaways
Plus Much, Much More!
Exibitors links: Exhibitor Area

Look for me at the show!
April 30, 2022: attended the Niota, TN Train Day. Came away with 3 HO scale cars, a house & 3 books for $28.
Planning to go next yr.

The BIG TRAIN SHOW is returning to East Tennessee State University June 3 - 4. 2022.
One of the biggest (if not the biggest) train shows in Tennessee.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That time again, Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!!!!
Great Midwest Train Show 08/7/2022 9am-3pm
DuPage County Fairgrounds
2015 Manchester Road, Wheaton, IL
Phone Number: 630-290-1962
Admission: Adults & Seniors $7 / Children under 12 years FREE / FREE Parking
Buildings: 1,2,3,4,5
World's largest monthly model train show featuring operating model train displays, LEGO layout, HO layout for the kids to operate. The best place to buy, sell, and trade since 1972. Great Family Fun!!
For more information visit us at www.GreatMidwestTrainShow.com

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ugh. I love where I live now, but I sure miss this show. Lived in DuPage county most of my life.

Reactions: SF Gal
1 - 14 of 14 Posts