Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My layout is not prototypical and it primarily consists of Great Northern and Burlington Northern trains.

I am considering adding a D&RGW locomotive in the mix. Any instance where these may have met in the real world?

Like I said, my layout is not prototypical and it spans decades but when I let things get too loosey goosey, it starts to bug me.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Well, when you compare the route maps for Great Northern and D&RGW, it appears that they didn't come close to each other.......but it's your railroad layout, so anything is possible.....hope this helps.....

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Here is the way I run my layout. It is somewhere in the north east US. New Haven runs through it regularilly as do other NE lines. Did these cross in real life, maby not but if my area of land did really exist then it might have been at that point they met. Besides to enlarge my layout every time I circle the outer ring the town in the middle is a different location. The factories are different. Increases the options of what is able to be done. Depending on the session we may have 1-5 different towns going. Just circle the outside 3 times to get to the next. So essentially many lines may meet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're talking Burlington Northern, they met here in Denver. 70's - early 90's.

For the years before that, CB&Q (and its subsidiary C&S) were all over northern Colorado while D&RGW went south and west into the mountains.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Besides, D&RG had beautiful paint schemes, especially the passenger trains!! So put 'em on your layout!!

Reactions: The USRA Guy

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think C, B & Q could connect them.
Remember BN was CB&Q, NP, GN, SP&S. Then with ATSF became BNSF that we have today.
Probably left out some road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts