Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not boxcars used to transport circus stuff but boxcars with different experimental paint schemes. About 15 years ago Andy Petersen started the series and it took few years to complete the project. Atlas manufactured the boxcars for Andy.

Since it took a few years to complete I don't know how many folks acquired the full set. GN explanation of the project and photos of the " circus boxcars " travelling on the S&Y RR.

Bill

In 1956, the Great Northern painted up ten 40' boxcars in experimental paint schemes and sent them around the GN system for employee input. Some of the paint schemes were incredibly loud and garish (for the day), thus earning them the moniker, "Circus Cars".

P6210026.JPG

P6210027.JPG

P6210028.JPG

P6210029.JPG

P6210030.JPG

P6210031.JPG

P6210032.JPG

P6210033.JPG

P6210034.JPG

P6210035.JPG

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Thanks for posting Bill.

Back in the day, one of my favorite cars was the Lionel 9401, a GN boxcar in bright aqua.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Great paint schemes and nice collection. That is quite a collection too.

Tom

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Wow! Now that is cool. I never knew about those cars.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Good looking cars. And a really great story. :thumbsup:

Nobody is asking the question, WHY the white spots on the bottom of the cars? :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good looking cars. And a really great story. :thumbsup:

Nobody is asking the question, WHY the white spots on the bottom of the cars? :dunno::dunno:
I had heard that the reason for the white dots was for identification purposes so that the boxcars were not used for revenue service and staged at some industry. The purpose of the boxcars were to travel the GN region so employees could vote on their choice of paint schemes.

Bill

·
Registered
918 Posts
Bill, thanks for the great trivia this morning. I have always had a fondness for the mountain goat line and this just rekindles it. Hard not to like the Great Northern.

Art

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill, thanks for the great trivia this morning. I have always had a fondness for the mountain goat line and this just rekindles it. Hard not to like the Great Northern.

Art
Yep, the GN Goat is one of my favorite logos. That is why I like boxcar #3, big time logo with the Billy the Goat.

Bill

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not boxcars used to transport circus stuff but boxcars with different experimental paint schemes. About 15 years ago Andy Petersen started the series and it took few years to complete the project. Atlas manufactured the boxcars for Andy.

Since it took a few years to complete I don't know how many folks acquired the full set. GN explanation of the project and photos of the " circus boxcars " travelling on the S&Y RR.

Bill

In 1956, the Great Northern painted up ten 40' boxcars in experimental paint schemes and sent them around the GN system for employee input. Some of the paint schemes were incredibly loud and garish (for the day), thus earning them the moniker, "Circus Cars".

View attachment 528176

View attachment 528178

View attachment 528180

View attachment 528182

View attachment 528184

View attachment 528186

View attachment 528188

View attachment 528190

View attachment 528192

View attachment 528194
Awesome, Bill. Always love to see GN stuff, but this is too special not to comment on!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts