Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some years back I remember seeing a Greenberg's pocket price guide to Lionel (or maybe it was Lionel and others) organized by railroad. Does anyone have this guide or have the publications information? I should have bought one at the time. More than once it would have been useful for me, so now I'm looking for one.

Thanks!
Keith

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Some years back I remember seeing a Greenberg's pocket price guide to Lionel (or maybe it was Lionel and others) organized by railroad. Does anyone have this guide or have the publications information? I should have bought one at the time. More than once it would have been useful for me, so now I'm looking for one.

Thanks!
Keith
Give your question a bump.
I never saw one like you describe?
I am not saying there was none, but I never saw one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do not have one but how many you want?? You can find many years.
😁
Thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for. The book I am thinking of organized O gauge trains that have been produced from (I think) postwar on by Road Name. Now that I think of it, it may have included other manufacturers such as MTH, Weaver, etc. The point was, if you were interested in a specific Railroad, you could look up what had been manufacturered in O gauge in that road name.

Really don't know for sure who published the book. Could have been Greenberg's/Kalmach, or maybe it was a Tom McComas (TM) publication?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Would you remember what it looked like if you saw it?
Look through here, I know that some are not what your looking for but maybe one of the others are.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you remember what it looked like if you saw it?
Look through here, I know that some are not what your looking for but maybe one of the others are.
Thanks for that link! This is the one I'm looking for, and it was on that page!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Looks like you can only buy a used copy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, and all with generic descriptions of condition. :(

Abebooks.com has a few listed as new, but the cheapest one is $47!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Yes, I looked at a few others that caught my interest.
$50 bucks ! But new.
I don't need it that bad. lol
Some that you want are only 5 bucks.
With a little wear they say, might be OK.
With free shipping, it is only 5 bucks. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, just ordered one on Abebooks for $3.69. Can't really go wrong at that price, and if it's trashed I can just order another one. ;)

Thanks for the help on this. I actually e-mailed Kalmbach earlier today, but no response.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Some on e bay too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some on e bay too.
Yeah, but they all had generic descriptions. So annoying when people can't be bothered to describe what they are selling. At least on Abebooks the vast majority are booksellers and understand the grading system for books.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
That is a good price too. Can't be in that bad of shape.
All those guides they make the binder too tight, so most are worn.
I take good care of mine but they do have some wear on them and some are 20 years old.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The guide showed up today. For those interested I can share a few things about it.

First, it covers motive power and rolling stock from postwar (though some selective prewar items are included) to 1997.

Second, manufacturers included are Lionel, MTH, Red Caboose, Right of Way, Sunset Models (3rd Rail), Weaver, and Williams.

It has two sections of listings. Section 1 is Motive Power and Rolling Stock arranged by Road Name, Body Classifications, and Manufacturer. Section 2 is Motive Power arranged by Locomotive Classification and Catalog Number.

Nice little guide for what it is, and will be handy for me when I want to look something up. Thanks for your help on this Big Ed!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Thanks for the description KBeyer. Funny that you mentioned generic descriptions in an earlier post. None of the sites (Tandem, Amazon or Abebooks) gave as good a description of the guide contents as you did. Although I am currently interested mostly in modern trains (post 2000), I also have a passing interest in what the book covers. And the prices on used copies are low enough so I just ordered a copy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts