Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fairly new at this, Dad had a table when I was a kid and now that I'm retired and other hobbies turned out to be too much for me to do (rebuilding a boat). I watched a boatload of youtube and thought "I can do that" so I bought an N Scale Silver Streak Zephyr train and got started. I got the table built with some scenery put in place with a layout but for all intents and purposes only one train can run at a time and have to use two locos to pull all the cars up the 3% incline. Christmas is coming and I'll have a DCC controller and decoders with a third loco for two trains. I've already designed two different new layouts that will allow both trains to run on their own tracks with the capability to switch over tracks for more realistic runnings. Now to decide which to use or work on another design. I'm limited to a 4X8 table (I might be able to sneak in another 4ft "L" later on :sneaky: The present layout was a learning experience on how to do several things, what worked, what didn't, and what not to do again due to PITA :eek:

Oh, I forgot to mention, all Kato Unitrack and turnouts, all Kato locos an E5A and two EMDs with various freight cars with MicroTrain trucks swapped out on non MT cars

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Magic, I know with the limited space I have to build on I can't get too wild on track laying plus with the longer locos and passenger cars I can't go much tighter on the curves I have now. I've still been watchin videos and on the new set up, starting after Christmas, I'll start the teardown. I'll be getting at least two sheets of 2inchX4X8 foam board so to have a not so flat layout and cut into it the track, buildings, etc. I will try and re-use the inclines as well as needing more will likely us the old as templates. The biggest thing is I won't get in such a hurry this time, maybe even set up a loop on the dining room table while doing the new.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I'd throw a few more pics of the "World" as it is right now and leading up to the present time (kinda hating to see some of it go but all in the name of progress)

Wood retaining walls hand built

Looking West to East, a lot more grass is in place now

Between the trucking warehouse and the railcar repair shop

Looking East to West in the 'Hood behind the hospital and school house

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More pictures (I know from experience from BenzWorld that "pictures or it never happened" probably rings true here LOL)

The Band, extra points if you can name this now retired Band

I made the drum riser as well as the Marshall Stack amplifiers, that's me over to the left on the sax 🎷

Trucking Co is now EBT, Eager Beaver Trucking with the blue tractor "given" to a high school buddy and is now PST trucking

All this sightseeing, anyone need a snack and a cold drink ? And WAY in the background, yes this former school bus driver just HAD to have a bus on the layout 😎

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was going to guess ZZ Top until you added the second photo showing 3 more musicians on the stage (including yourself on sax). If you don't have a bass player on that stage, I'm available.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to guess ZZ Top until you added the second photo showing 3 more musicians on the stage (including yourself on sax). If you don't have a bass player on that stage, I'm available.
No, the 2nd pic is a different band, ZZ Top was a good guess but no, not them. This was the early version before they added keyboards, a lot more drums, the box of Barbie groupies, and Mr Potato Head. (hint hint)

Having a bass, c'mon up and join the jam, my son is one of those playing guitar, while he was in the Navy he bought a couple of good ones and a Marshall half stack

·
Registered
104 Posts
No, the 2nd pic is a different band, ZZ Top was a good guess but no, not them. This was the early version before they added keyboards, a lot more drums, the box of Barbie groupies, and Mr Potato Head. (hint hint)

Having a bass, c'mon up and join the jam, my son is one of those playing guitar, while he was in the Navy he bought a couple of good ones and a Marshall half stack
hmm...well if the band is who I am thinking, I will keep it to myself and not steal the Limelight. And if that is the band depicted, there is no room for my bass. You already have one of the best in the business!

·
Registered
104 Posts
An excellent and correct guess Professor, What gave it away ? And yes, all 3 are the best of their class
This band was originally a local band, 20 minutes down the road from me. They used to play high school dances in this area, playing Led Zep covers. Lakeside Park, is local, and a Pavillion/memorial statue is being erected in honor of the drummer who recently passed. You caught me by surprise because you are in the US and I always seem to think of these guys in terms of Canadian icons. By the way, I love the power trios. And until I saw the barbie doll reference, my next guess would have been Grand Funk Railroad...being as how this is a model train forum.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I play a lot of RUSH tunes. Now if I could just afford the Gibson Axess LP...

Great detail work. Lots of interest there. Alex doesn't like keyboards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This band was originally a local band, 20 minutes down the road from me. They used to play high school dances in this area, playing Led Zep covers. Lakeside Park, is local, and a Pavillion/memorial statue is being erected in honor of the drummer who recently passed. You caught me by surprise because you are in the US and I always seem to think of these guys in terms of Canadian icons. By the way, I love the power trios. And until I saw the barbie doll reference, my next guess would have been Grand Funk Railroad...being as how this is a model train forum.
Yes, it was a sad day to hear of Neil's passing, RUSH was all but over anyway except for maybe a one-off show due to his self imposed performance standards. The Barbie and Mr Potato idea came up from watching an interview and the Live in Rio show, even had dinosaurs at one point, all belonging to Lerxst's kids LOL. And it's funny how Pratt came up with his name, his Mom's pronunciation of his name LOL. I was in the Army when Moving Pictures came out and one of my buddies had a drum kit and played pretty close on Tom Sawyer

Michael, Alex didn't like keyboards but he had foot pedals set up on his side along with his effects box

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Yes, it was a sad day to hear of Neil's passing, RUSH was all but over anyway except for maybe a one-off show due to his self imposed performance standards. The Barbie and Mr Potato idea came up from watching an interview and the Live in Rio show, even had dinosaurs at one point, all belonging to Lerxst's kids LOL. And it's funny how Pratt came up with his name, his Mom's pronunciation of his name LOL. I was in the Army when Moving Pictures came out and one of my buddies had a drum kit and played pretty close on Tom Sawyer

Michael, Alex didn't like keyboards but he had foot pedals set up on his side along with his effects box
Yes, I've seen his rig from several years ago right when he started playing the Axess. Still thinking of adding the FRX system to my LP.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
First try of uploading a video made an hour or so ago

WOO HOO, a success (doin' a jiggy dance LOL) OH, if after this video plays it shows a white Mercedes as the next vid to play, play it, that's my hot rod

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An update on the railroad empire here LOL. We did our Christmas today as well as stuffing ourselves due to my son being here and he'll be working Christmas and New Years Day (oh the life of a Doctor) I got my presents today too and have already swapped out the decoders in the locos, pretty simple operation. Now to start tearing down the track after a test run with the DCC box I also got today

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah those are paint caps. Another idea I saw in a video was to use PVC pipe caps, I think they might be more realistic with the rounded over edges and could also be used as water tanks. I'll have to look at what I can find

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cool idea, and ya, PVC pipe caps would work well too. Allowing for different sizes. I'm filing all of this information in the back of my brain. I've pretty well completed my tracklaying and electrical work and am now looking toward landscaping and the scenic portion of the hobby. I will have an industrial area at one end, and town scenario at the other end. Also a riverbed flowing through the mid point of the layout. I'm looking forward to this part of the hobby, but I have no idea to what degree my talents lie. I want realism, so I expect there will be some trial and error for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts