Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting read of the legal battle between the Sheahan family and the USAF. Don't know if this is current or from the past. The property is next to Area 51 in Nevada.

Bill

After seizing the Groom Mine Property from the Sheahan family through eminent domain, the U.S. Government confirmed it would take a small army, many months and $2.7 million to move 130 years worth of family belongings from the property–not including storage fees, incidentals and other unforeseen costs. The Sheahan’s relocation expert agreed that the relocation would take several months, but the cost would be $4.5 million.

The government is now changing its initial position, arguing that it will only take several blocks of three to four days to move the belongings and cost less than $300,000 for both moving and storage. The government claims that this position is justified on the grounds that the mining equipment on the property is considered a fixture that is attached to the land and needs to be valued as part of it, not moved. However, the government initially took the exact opposite position when valuing the land, claiming the mining equipment should not be valued as part of the land, because it is personal property that needs to be moved.

“These grossly inconsistent positions are nothing more than an attempt to outright take our family’s personal property without just compensation,” said Joe Sheahan, one of the property owners.

The government is also refusing to move other items owned by the Sheahan family including a 1929 Model A Ford, a 1936 International truck, antique mining buckets and gears, and similar items. Their excuse for this is that these items are high bulk and low value, although they have not provided a single valuation appraisal on any of these items.

In addition, the government has sent the landowners threatening letters ordering them to remove all of their property within 30 days, while not providing access to do so. This is a clear violation of federal law. To assure that personal property of this type is fully protected, Congress adopted the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Seems our government "of, by and for the people" always finds ways to make life miserable for someone.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
WOW! I believe "eminent domain" to be something to be used by to government ONLY in natural disaster or other crisis situations. At all other times, I believe it to be a blatantly excessive use of power and undemocratic.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
WOW! I believe "eminent domain" to be something to be used by to government ONLY in natural disaster or other crisis situations. At all other times, I believe it to be a blatantly excessive use of power and undemocratic.
Apparently the indigenous Canadian's think the same

Canada's CN rail system shut over blockade
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51497143

Blockades against the proposed pipeline, which Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government says invigorate natural gas exports in British Columbia, began last week.

Its route cuts through indigenous Canadian land.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom_Mine

Looks like they should have taken the 1.5$ mil
From the article.
Quote.
Beginning in late 2014, the United States Department of Defense attempted to purchase the property from the Sheahan family, originally offering $1.5 million. By August 2015, the USAF had raised the offer to $5.2 million; the family continued rejecting the offers.] In August 2015, a government press release described the mine as a "safety and security risk", even though the Sheahan family had not disclosed any activities of the Groom Lake facility.
In September 2015, the commander of the Nevada Test and Training Range stated that the existence of the mine within the range led to "tremendous expense" due to "canceling missions when they came out"; secret operations at the base could not proceed when civilians were present on the Sheahan's property within easy view of the installation.
On 16 September 2015, the property was condemned under eminent domain and given to the United States Government by a court order signed by federal Judge Miranda Du.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Thanks Frisco....don't know what we'd do with you posting the article that we could simply click the link for and read for ourselves.....a huge timesaver, for sure....;)

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Thanks Frisco....don't know what we'd do with you posting the article that we could simply click the link for and read for ourselves.....a huge timesaver, for sure....;)
Well, that was rather snarky...expect the bark!

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Not snarky at all.....can't I merely express my true appreciation for another member's exhaustive research efforts to keep the rest of us informed? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom_Mine

Looks like they should have taken the 1.5$ mil
Looks like they missed that boat and a cruise ship:

"Beginning in late 2014, the United States Department of Defense attempted to purchase the property from the Sheahan family, originally offering $1.5 million.[7] By August 2015, the USAF had raised the offer to $5.2 million; the family continued rejecting the offers."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts