Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There was a LGB covered hopper in the famous Canadian Grain Car livery (think red, or check the pic) that had no bids on it, so I made a bid in the last 3 minutes, thinking I had it, and I didn't check the page again.. well you get the idea. It was a nice model, and even though I don't run G scale equipment it is a nice one to look at. It's quite large at over 20 inches long.

Anyone else have an eBay sob story? :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Incidentally, the auction ended, but the buyer had a couple more and I purchased one using the 'buy it now', still a little steamed I had let the first get away. Talking to the owner, he offered me dibs on the other 2, turns out I now have THREE of them being shipped to me! :eek:

Can't wait until they arrive... Now I need a small road switcher to complete the train!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cars are still awaiting a loco :(

Anybody have any good leads on small road switchers that don't cost an arm and a leg? LGB is surely out, but there must be other manufacturers with alternatives.

I have other LGB cars but there are German and Swiss, so a North American loco would be somewhat out of place.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
John,

While we're at it... I am looking for some kind of 060 in #1 gauge. All I need is the chassie. I want to build a "Thomas Tank Engine" for my three year old grandson. So he can run with grandpa in the garden..

I don't know anything about British prototypes but I have lots of Pictures of Thomas. I'm hoping I can fake it.:D

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are not too concerned about scale appearance (and neither is your grandson, hah) LGB's 0-6-0 chassis or motor block is a good starting point, although a little harder to find and not the cheapest solution. It will run for years though.

Something like this:

You can remove the leading truck and valve gear and just leave the side rods in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks John, for the link. My grandson will go nuts when he sees it. So will his mother & grandmother.

Lionel made Thomas in G scale several years ago and I've seen them on ebay but they are priced out of sight.

I am going to try and land a chassie and get started... Maybe he will have it by Christmas..

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Just be careful there, B&M, that Wayne Gretsky hockey stick more than likely was signed by the seller's little brother...;)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Just be careful there, B&M, that Wayne Gretsky hockey stick more than likely was signed by the seller's little brother...;)
Say it ain't so! :eek:

No, I set very conservative limits on how much I spend... I am pretty sure that I have not won a "real" (not Buy it Now) auction yet...

From the other perspective, "grr - eBay" is right! I am getting fed up with these fees eating away at my already miniscule profits :(

You have your listing fees, your gallery fees, your 5% final value fees, your flat rate $0.30 Paypal fee, and your extra 3% Paypal fee... It really makes selling anything under $10.00 seem not worthwhile...

At least the Priority Mail boxes are free :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
eBay

Some sellers make up for the fees with ridiculous
"shipping and handling" charges.
eagle37

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Some sellers make up for the fees with ridiculous
"shipping and handling" charges.
eagle37
That is a good point... Too bad though that not everyone out there knows that it does not cost $10 to ship an item which weighs under a pound via the USPS... It gets pretty ridiculous sometimes, and you always need to watch out :sly:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yea, I saw all the changes... Maybe you can tell me how it would hurt small sellers since you have been on eBay longer... This was posted in a train auction, but I do not see what is going to hurt him :dunno:

Or is this just propaganda? LOL :D

Please Note: ebay is planning some major changes that are scheduled to begin in a couple of months. These changes are designed to hurt the tens of thousands of small time sellers like myself. If these changes are carried out, I will be joining thousands of other sellers leaving ebay at that time. I encourage you to educate yourself about these changes and consider signing the electronic petition that is going around which will hopefully open the greedy corporate eyes of King eBay. Feel free to email me for a link to this petition.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Or is this just propaganda? LOL :D
After seeing the new fees, guess not! I made these calculations for another forum, but I will post them here too...

-----

Yea, it is gay, but if you were going to buy a gallery picture, then it is sort of even, not really though :mad:

List for $10.00
Sell for $20.00

..............--Old...-New
Listing fee: 0.55 - 0.35
Gallery fee: 0.35 - 0.00
Final fee: 1.05 - 1.75
Total fees: 1.95 - 2.10

-----

List for $9.95
Sell for $20.00

..............--Old...-New
Listing fee: 0.35 - 0.25