Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought some new curves for the model railroad to begin the process of incorporating the double track mainline. But as it turns out, things are a tight fit and I have track that is practically hovering over the edge. If I have derailments like I’ve had before, one of these cars are going to fall off the edge of the table and shatter. So I need something to keep them from going sky diving towards concrete floor. I was thinking about a long line of toothpicks since I don’t have the kind of money for the see through barriers that some professionals have on their layouts. My layout so far is an L shape using Bachmann ez track and a small piece of wood held in by you guessed it, toothpicks. I need some help quick. Thank you.
Hood Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Make that section a deep cut in a hill. Actually does not need to be much deeper than half the car height. It would look a little more realistic that just using clear plastic. You could also use the plastinc from cheap "sale" signs that hardware stores sell, would not be clear, so would need a spray coat of something. The signs are flexible so the will bend. You should be able to score them and then break them like glass.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make that section a deep cut in a hill. Actually does not need to be much deeper than half the car height. It would look a little more realistic that just using clear plastic. You could also use the plastinc from cheap "sale" signs that hardware stores sell, would not be clear, so would need a spray coat of something. The signs are flexible so the will bend. You should be able to score them and then break them like glass.
That is a good idea, I will have to scrape together some extra foam from somewhere but I might have to do this

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I’m not sure what kind of cardboard you’re looking for, but groceries stores will likely give you boxes for free if you ask them. Most of my model trains were packed in cookie crisp boxes when I moved. Free is about as low cost as you can get.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I agree with Old Hobo on the temporary cardboard idea. And to add to Oil Valley’s suggestion about it,, Go around back and do some “dumpster diving” at Home Depot, Lowe’s, Menards, etc. Better yet, a major Appliance store. There you will find large pieces of cardboard and boxes. Like, 32”x 42” at least. Can cut some nice long strips from those. Will probably see/find some bits of free wood to be used on your layout as well.
When it comes to spray painting said strips, buy the cheap 99 cnt per can stuff. “Just remember to paint it before attach it. “Ask me how I know-lol”

KW62

·
Registered
349 Posts
Cardboard would definitely be the way to go, you can simply staple it on so it's easy to remove. Also when you eventually use plexiglass you don't need very much, it only has to be a inch or two high to stop a derailment hitting the floor.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
So I need something to keep them from going sky diving towards concrete floor. I was thinking about a long line of toothpicks since I don’t have the kind of money for the see through barriers that some professionals have on their layouts.
Clear acrylic sheets aren't THAT expensive. Less than $50 will get you more than you need.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I, too, am going close to the edge. This picture shows a lot:
Sleeve Wood Headgear Jewellery Bridal accessory

That sheet of flexible clear plastic is from Hobby Lobby at $6.99. I plan to cut it using a straightedge and razor knife and glue/screw it to the foam of that curve.

Also you can see the solution for the free sides of my table - - I am using 1/4" Hardboard (Masonite) as a fascia and having it stick up over the horizontal surface by one inch. Forum opinions seem to suggest that is plenty for HO trains.

I also bought (not shown) a G scale rail fence that I will put just inside the clear plastic to give a more finished look. Hope this helps! Always more than one way to skin a layout and some are more pricier than others!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with Old Hobo on the temporary cardboard idea. And to add to Oil Valley’s suggestion about it,, Go around back and do some “dumpster diving” at Home Depot, Lowe’s, Menards, etc. Better yet, a major Appliance store. There you will find large pieces of cardboard and boxes. Like, 32”x 42” at least. Can cut some nice long strips from those. Will probably see/find some bits of free wood to be used on your layout as well.
When it comes to spray painting said strips, buy the cheap 99 cnt per can stuff. “Just remember to paint it before attach it. “Ask me how I know-lol”

KW62
I forgot to mention it but the first thing I did after making the post was pinning some cardboard to the foam, so far it’s been good. I think the main issue is just open space with no barriers is what is causing me to feel so worried about it as the derailments I’ve had so far have been minor.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Here's a twofer:

Train Building Track Vehicle Urban design

As you can see, I had the same problem, created by using legacy O27 track around a perilous corner (actually, all four corners!). My solution (after a painful real-life confirmation of my peril!) was to drill holes through the covering and foamboard into the chipboard base, and install sections of some quarter-inch dowels I had laying around, then run two levels of some thin wire wrapped around each dowel and secured to a ground-level nail at each end. So far, it's survived an out-of-control Marx 1829 smoker, so I think it could survive (and protect!) almost anything thrown at it!

When I decided to add an elevated track later, I knew the turns would be an issue, so I was proactive: after mulling my options, I ended up hot-glueing tabs of 1/8th inch hardboard out from under the hardboard base, and using repurposed bamboo coffee stirrers (thanks, Einstein Bros. Bagels!) to secure a 'rail', also of made of hardboard, around the curves. Since I tend to run light-weight stuff on the el, there's been no definitive test yet, but several times I've managed to hook the end of the guard rail on my pants in passing (which is why I installed a warning flag, just out of sight above the top of the photo!) with no more damage done than repeatedly creating the need to reglue a few stirrer strips and supports!

The point is, as others have said, that there are are a number of free/low cost methods to make sure your rolling stock does not inadvertently do a credible simulation of a lemmings herd. But, if instead you favor Gomez's model train philosophy from "The Addams Family," well, there are other options . . . :eek:

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Oh, and if you really want some form of cheap see-through barrier (rather than trying to emulate some prototype with an obscuring barrier), there's no reason why you couldn't recycle some form of stiff, transparent plastic, cut into, say, half-inch-wide by a couple of inches high strips, and staple them to the edge or otherwise affix them along the track. Depending on the recycled plastic used, the strips will either flex on impact or collectively act like the roadside crash barriers and slow and deflect any wayward rolling stock. Properly finished, this could be a permanent solution, or later replaced when you can afford a more elegant solution. In any event, good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yesterday I bought some new curves for the model railroad to begin the process of incorporating the double track mainline. But as it turns out, things are a tight fit and I have track that is practically hovering over the edge. If I have derailments like I’ve had before, one of these cars are going to fall off the edge of the table and shatter. So I need something to keep them from going sky diving towards concrete floor. I was thinking about a long line of toothpicks since I don’t have the kind of money for the see through barriers that some professionals have on their layouts. My layout so far is an L shape using Bachmann ez track and a small piece of wood held in by you guessed it,
Yesterday I bought some new curves for the model railroad to begin the process of incorporating the double track mainline. But as it turns out, things are a tight fit and I have track that is practically hovering over the edge. If I have derailments like I’ve had before, one of these cars are going to fall off the edge of the table and shatter. So I need something to keep them from going sky diving towards concrete floor. I was thinking about a long line of toothpicks since I don’t have the kind of money for the see through barriers that some professionals have on their layouts. My layout so far is an L shape using Bachmann ez track and a small piece of wood held in by you guessed it, toothpicks. I need some help quick. Thank you. View attachment 584617 View attachment 584618
I used Carrera safety wall fencing around my 10x6 slot car table. I cut the track clips off and used three 3 screws (each piece) to attach to the edge of the 1/2 birch plywood table. I also used their metal clip to joined adjacent walls.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yesterday I bought some new curves for the model railroad to begin the process of incorporating the double track mainline. But as it turns out, things are a tight fit and I have track that is practically hovering over the edge. If I have derailments like I’ve had before, one of these cars are going to fall off the edge of the table and shatter. So I need something to keep them from going sky diving towards concrete floor. I was thinking about a long line of toothpicks since I don’t have the kind of money for the see through barriers that some professionals have on their layouts. My layout so far is an L shape using Bachmann ez track and a small piece of wood held in by you guessed it, toothpicks. I need some help quick. Thank you. View attachment 584617 View attachment 584618
I used Carrera safety wall and fencing around the 10x6 slot car table. I cut the track clips off and used two screws on each piece to attach to the edge of the 1/2 birch plywood table. I also used their metal clip to joined adjacent walls.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts