Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I never shoot what I have on hand. If I want to go shooting I buy what I'm going to shoot that afternoon. Or I will order a shipment specifically for a shooting date.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I have an old KKW German training rifle in .22 and I restored it a while back. It has open iron sights. My son easily hits 4” steel plates at 250 feet With this rifle. It is more fun to shoot than the semi auto .22s we have...

looks like this, but a lighter color stock...

Tom

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have an old KKW German training rifle in .22 and I restored it a while back. It has open iron sights. My son easily hits 4” steel plates at 250 feet With this rifle. It is more fun to shoot than the semi auto .22s we have...
Tom
In the middle 70's, I "acquired" a German 9mm Luger for my brother's collection of handguns. After it was checked and tested by a gunsmith, he took it to the range. He said it was the best shooter in his collection of then late model Smith & Wesson and Colt pistols.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I lost count of my guns when I reached the 50 mark. I have enough ammo to last through many things if need it. What I mainly want to add to this is during this time of every one told to stay home. A couple gunshops are delivering ammunition to customers front door like a pizza pie.

I have to say it’s a pretty clever idea to keep business moving along. If customers can not come to you then go to the customer! Smart decision to keep that money flowing.

Reactions: Krieglok

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
My favorite 22 plinkers are the Henry Rifle lever actions, Super accurate and as smooth as silk. I have 3, the Golden Boy, the Silver Boy, and the Evil Roy, just terrific rifles.

Bill

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Mauser made the K98k.......never heard of a KKW......
Right, but that is not a K.98k. It is a .22 training rifle. Walther made a KKW rifle patterned on the K.98k for the SA. I was not certain if Mauser also made this training rifle along with the K.98k, and was unaware that Gustloff Werke was involved in training rifle production.

They also manufactured the K.98k under the bcd code of which I have an example in my collection.

·
Admin
43,691 Posts
My favorite 22 plinkers are the Henry Rifle lever actions, Super accurate and as smooth as silk. I have 3, the Golden Boy, the Silver Boy, and the Evil Roy, just terrific rifles.
I think my favorite .22 guns are all made by Ruger.

The 10-22 is a real tack driver, I won a postal match with that one. The course of fire was 10 rounds. This is at 50 yards, and I was bummed that the last shot I rushed a little and it almost lost it for me!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great group! Most of my .22's pattern like a shotgun. :poop:

I'm a sucker for MK III's too, even though tear down is a bugger.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'll add my 2 cents worth to the gun conversation. I own guns and thousands rounds of self loaded ammo simply because I do a lot of shooting at the local gun range and go through A LOT of ammo with my semiautomatic 45 pistol and 45 carbine not to mention other guns. Yes I need to buy the supplies needed to reload but cheaper than buying store bought ACP ammo. What worries me is that Big Brother will tax gun powder and shells out of the normal range. At present I have plenty of both but at some point I'll need to restock. What will the price be then? Do I buy now? Powder has gone up a little now. So far normal sales tax.

Since I am retired I work part time at a store similar to Farm & Fleet, named Stock and Field. The gun sales and ammo at my store are through the roof. By far the biggest sale item in the store. All since the coronavirus hit. Now here is the scary part. The gun department manager tells me most are first time gun buyers with no formal training or gun knowledge!! He has to spend a lot of time explaining different gun's attributes. While everybody here in Illinois must have a fire owners card, (easy to get), some even have a concealed carry permit as well. Again not hard to get. So now what do we have here? A bunch of gun toting untrained owners who, from the beginning, didn't even know what type of gun they wanted and now could be carrying one around as well?
The gun range I go to is never crowded. Why aren't these new owners out there learning?

Train talk is a lot more fun than this gun talk, even on this new format.

Kenny.

·
Admin
43,691 Posts
Good point about the new gun owners. I have to say, PA is also very easy to get a CCW. I took a number of concealed carry classes just because it seemed like a good idea, but nothing like that is required in PA. Bummer right now, our range is closed!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts