Model Train Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Since you have Anyrail, try this: add a ruler 30" long to your design (30" is about what most people can reach successfully. Use that to measure distances across the layout to the closest point where you are able to stand. I suspect you will still find some reach issues.

Reactions: GarfieId

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I like this generally. I think you mentioned that you are using Anyrail. I'd suggest you get the free version of TrainPlayer (a simulator) and export your AnyRail plan to it and run some train(s) on it. I personally find that if I like it in the simulator, I'll like the real thing. Conversely, if I don't like it, even a little. in the simulator, I'll definitely NOT like it in real life.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Curve on upper left corner could be wider radius - more graceful.

Lower left hand area could use an industrial siding, perhaps two (branching from one switch on the main).

Center top could use an industrial siding.

Yard needs at least one more track.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Halfway around your major curve, the inner one off of which comes the switching tracks, you could place a 'trailing point' curved turnout, probably a Walthers #7.5 would work, and back a cut of cars into an industrial spot toward the bottom curve on the diagramme. This would add more oomph to your trackage and give you both trailing point and leading point switching...if you want it.

Secondly, where the siding, or the arrival/departure track nests inside that inner curve, you proceed for a distance toward the turnout that affords access to the main again. I would consider reducing the tangent so that a #6 turnout could be fit there instead of what appears to be a #4.5 or so. I suggest this because longer cars, especially with body-mounted couplers, will not want the S-curve that currently exists, especially if you get a few longer passenger cars for a daily commuter run to and from 'the city'. While you're at it, do the same on the lower end.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts