Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
This invites an industrial switching scene. Nice use of the diamond. I've seen several such arrangements in and around Texas, to which it is certainly not unique. Next vid: show us some
moving cars in and out those clever spurs and the building of a train?

·
Registered
940 Posts
What are your thoughts about scenicking the Big 8? Plain Jane or winter, summer, fall? There are some nice, not too expensive plow cars out there, and Athearn makes a beautiful rotary plow car that runs on its own motor, revolving the rotary.

If you do snow, stay away from anything edible, like flour: bugs love it. I've not tried baking soda, but that might work. If not, Woodland Scenics makes a nice snow that goes on easy, sticks well. You need to cover the layout when not in use, or it will soon resemble dirty snowbanks and the all the rest.

Back in the day, modelers used to use asbestos: cheap and abundant at any hardware store.

An industrial vista? I used to live in Pecos, Texas, and rail lines snaked all over the former industrial district, back in the day when it was a small, but thriving industrial hub. El Paso still has a few areas where cars, trucks, and trains compete for the right of way.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
That looks nice enough to eat off of.
That said, if you’re planning to have scenery, even if you haven't decided what at this time, I don’t see the point of painting it before the scenery contours are done.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The real test is pushing that train through all of the turnouts (and up the grades) with the same number of wagens as you are pulling.
You can then say your trackwork is near perfect when you have no derailments pushing as well as pulling.
Done ! The curves are really tight: 14"1/4 !

21 - 40 of 51 Posts