Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Admin
43,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time I've gotten a sequence of these SPAM messages. The appear to come from a valid email address of someone you know. The first one says this:

Since it's from someone I know (yes, I checked the message headers), I ask "What's this in reference to?"

The next message is the hook.

I hope nobody is waiting around for this refund from their "friend", it ain't happening!

My next message should give them a clue that it didn't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I haven’t seen that one yet, but on a few occasions someone who had me in their address book had their email highjacked and I got messages that I would not expect to get from that person. For example, I got a message that said “click here to see what Oprah just said” from someone that has less than zero interest in Oprah. Needless to say, I deleted it and let them know they got highjacked.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
That would have ended up in my SPAM folder. I rarely check it and it auto-deletes after 30 days.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
That would have ended up in my SPAM folder. I rarely check it and it auto-deletes after 30 days.
Not if it was a spoofed e-mail address from someone you know...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Not if it was a spoofed e-mail address from someone you know...
Then I guess I didn't get it. I have very few personal e-mail addresses. My son, my sister, and a few others. Most of mine are to businesses or corporate addresses.

·
Admin
43,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This message had all the trappings of a valid email, the correct address and everything. I just happen to know that this is not really a reasonable request, especially from the guy that it is represented to be from. The fact that I got an identical one from someone else (also valid addresses) turned me onto the scam right away.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got it, also from an email address I knew, but also knew it was spam because I didn't have the account they said it was for ..let the origionator [supposedly, lol] know his email was -possibly- hijacked ..

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
These are clever because they're sufficiently generic that they'll snag 600 people almost just by chance, and not by their negligence. I got my first spurious email from a (turns out) abandoned account of a fellow Canadian modeler who was kind to me with image processing back in the late 2008-2011 time frame. We fell out of touch after that (he travels frequently and is out of the country for weeks). Then, about 2015 I got what I thought was an email from him, although the subject matter was quite obviously nothing about him...or me. I contacted him to let him know what what happening in case he had been hijacked/hacked, but he said sorry, it's an account he had abandoned some years earlier.

In this case, the person I can think of who might possibly have asked for some urgent thing like that, another good friend in a city 60 miles away, does not have a niece. He's also extremely smart, extremely resourceful, and highly adept at solving personal problems of that kind. I'd know in an instant, niece or not, that it was a bogus email.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got this similar from a known but very old acquaintance....who never would ask this favor....I screwed up and sen Lee a response to call me and sent my cell number....later I sent Lee a FB message he said his e-mail hacked

so far my stuff has not been hijacked

I did not consider a phish/scam....now even more Leary than before

·
Admin
43,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's one of the more clever scams, but really, how many people would just out of the blue ask you to front them a couple hundred dollars? It doesn't pass the smell test for the people that I got it from. The first one was from a guy that I had only had one email exchange with, and until I realize it was just a scam I wondered what made him think I'd give him $200. :)

Take note that the "Reply to:" address is not the same as the valid spoofed from address, that's your clue.

·
Admin
43,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No kidding, but the first email doesn't ask for money, that's the one that is confusing unless you realize the change in the "Reply to:" address. Even then, it's a reasonable address that could be valid. Once they asked for money, I knew the jig was up. ;)

It's a well done scam, and I'll bet they've raked in money with it. I'm sure the gift card is non-refundable once you've paid for it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
John, are you saying that in addition to the Sender Address (easily spoofed by anyone), the actual SMPT header listed the know person?

It's easy to create an email account on any public web service or using a private mail handler. Did the origin also match your known acquaintance (e.g., the "xxx.com" part)?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I periodically receive Facebook notifications from a fellow modeler over in Birmingham who passed away about four years ago. 😏

It’s been common knowledge for years that scammers can access your computer when you open a link in a spurious email but; the same thing can result from opening a link in a seemingly legitimate text message.

My number one rule of thumb is to never open email or text messages that say anything like “thought you’d want to see this” or “have you seen this?” Delete, delete, delete...

Curt

·
Registered
93 Posts
just got another one .. slightly different ..
The name was valid, along with the 'send to' address, but the return address was wrong ...
and in there was just a link to a known spam site, no asky for money in the email..
I've known this email address was hijacked for a while, so no big surprise there, she normally doesn't email, not very tech savvy at all, but still very cute, lol

·
Registered
514 Posts
🌈 I think I saw the red rectangle one, but it went away..
BUT here's another scam: Big red CVS card / ad states "$100.00 gift from CVS" (somethin like that)...Called CVS who confirmed it bogus...

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
I don't give my money to anybody.
Not even my friends.
Stuff like this goes directly into the trash.
"that is all..."
That's the best policy right there. The only people who ask me for money are my wife and kids, and they ask in person (or on the phone, if they're away).

My mother loaned a former student $5000 (after letting him live with her for 9 weeks with free room and board) "until he gets back on his feet". That was 12 years ago. How much do you think he's paid back? The only good thing to come out of that was that I now have a Power of Attorney and handle all her finances. Every month, she sends me a 2" thick envelope of all the requests for donations, loans, etc., that she gets, many with notes from her saying "please contribute" or something similar. It all goes right in the recycling. Sounds harsh, but she's 88 years old and on a fixed income...she CAN'T afford to spare any of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts