Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, have you ordered the new Lionel Bas 3 ?

What Lionel system do you currently have?

Do you plan on keeping you’re current system ?

I have a Lionel CAB2 and CAB1-l w/ extra remote. I am currently not planning on ordering the CAB3 since I only have Legacy and Lionchief +2 engines which work well with my current systems.

·
Admin
47,698 Posts
Nope, I never say never, but I'm certainly not in any hurry to buy one. I see no big advantage over what I have now. It'll be years before there's a benefit to this, at least for me.

I'm guessing Lionel will try to incorporate a "must have" feature or two in new releases that require the BASE3/CAB3 setup, but that's only an issue for me if I "must have" that product or that particular feature.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Definitely not buying the CAB3 yet. Already have investment in the LCS wifi module and CAB2, don't care about running a lionchief with a Legacy command it represents a negative value duplicating hardware I already own and the way overblown feature of 4 digit addressing only works for one announced engine. It would be 10 years before they release enough 4 digit capable engines to even matter.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Oh and forgot, it's not even a charging base for your CAB2 either.
More like swing and miss Lionel, should be called CAB2.5- not quite a full 3.
You only get half, a base with no remote, features that only work with engines that don't exist.

·
Admin
47,698 Posts
I confess, the lack of the charging function didn't bother me much. My #990 command base doesn't charge anything either, it keeps falling out! :p:p
Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic instrument Table Hardware programmer

As for 4-digit addressing, while I may actually have 100 Legacy and TMCC engines, etc that might benefit from it, I'd have to buy all new stuff for it to be a factor. Besides, I don't have nearly 100 engines that will be on the layout often enough to make any difference.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Only if my Legacy Base dies and Lionel stops fixing them. Otherwise no reason as I have zero Lionchief engines. To be honest even if my Legacy Base dies I would be content with my Cab1 and Command Base.

Pete

·
Registered
583 Posts
I see no reason to buy the cab 3, 4 digit Addressing means nothing. It will be years and years before you have enough engines to make it worthwhile. I like the handheld remote and for Lionel to eliminate it is beyond not listening to your fans.

Dave

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not me. My TMCC and Legacy locomotives run great with the original Cab-1 and Base-1. I know how to fix the most common problems with Cab-1's (buttons that stop working, red knobs that loosen up and battery case tabs that break off) and have spare Cab-1's and bases in case repairs are impossible. I expect to keep them working until Lionel releases the Base 6 or Base 7.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep. Ordered and ready. As for it doesn’t hold as many engines, why would they expand addressing to 4 digit addressing in newer engines if it wasn’t going to hold more engines? One of the main complaints of TMCC 1 and Base2

Yes as of now there is not a lot of advertised added functionality but it does leave Lionel room to grow that the earlier systems don’t.

I personally don’t put a lot of credibility into the rumors of what it can or can not do. I’ve seen way too much wrong information on TMCC and Legacy and it’s been out for years.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I'll stay with the original Cab-1 and simple TMCC system. I have a few Legacy engines which operate/run just fine and can't see a reason to upgrade! Now if I had fancier engines, that of course, would be a factor in buying a Legacy system.

·
Admin
47,698 Posts
Marty, the beauty of the BASE3 purchase decision is that this is going to be a standard product going forward. There's no issue in sitting on the sidelines until Lionel gets their act together and we all get to see what the product really looks like. This is not like a "built to order" locomotive. ;) As far as 4-digit addressing, I have exactly zero engines that would benefit from that feature. It will take me a long time to acquire enough new stuff that this feature will be a significant factor.

So far the other stuff that has been announced, most holds little interest for me.
  • Running LC or LC+? Don't have any, don't plan on getting any.
  • Running LC+ 2.0? Runs in TMCC mode, my preferred command method for them.
  • Running from my phone? I'll be dragged kicking and screaming from my remote, and I already have the Lionel WiFi, so if I must...
  • I already have LCS, and the expanded ports would only be useful if they actually start to update the LCS stuff and not discontinue it! The fact that they dropped the sensor cars and the IRV2 suggests a demphasis and not continued active development. If it's only going to be supported for Fastrack, that leaves me out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have had a TMCC setup for decades. Just acquired a Legacy system and backup cab-2. Will probably buy a Base 3 eventually I suspect, but haven't pre-ordered. I think it will sell well amongst those with LC/LC+ locos as well as TMCC and Legacy locos, and amongst those new to the hobby who want command control beyond what LionChief locos/starter sets provide. Should be good for a few thousand sales at least to start with. It's good to see that Lionel is planning for the future, since the future of other companies isn't so clear.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
I have a few of the older TMCC (cab1?) sets and I use only one at the moment. I have a newer cab 2 set, but it is still sealed in the box. I probably will not go with a newer system for quite some time…

Tom

1 - 20 of 57 Posts