Model Train Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Admin
47,694 Posts
Well, it's actually an economic issue as far as the manufacturer's are concerned. They want to throw the issue of the remote over the wall and not have to deal with it. I don't think they give a hoot what the consumer wants as long as they just grumble and keep buying their products. Somehow they manage to keep creating all sorts of complicated locomotives and accessories, yet the prospect of creating a fairly simple remote somehow upsets the apple cart! I'm not buying it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, it's actually an economic issue as far as the manufacturer's are concerned. They want to throw the issue of the remote over the wall and not have to deal with it. I don't think they give a hoot what the consumer wants as long as they just grumble and keep buying their products. Somehow they manage to keep creating all sorts of complicated locomotives and accessories, yet the prospect of creating a fairly simple remote somehow upsets the apple cart! I'm not buying it! :rolleyes:

I would bet they sell more locomotives than they do Command Systems. Those locomotives share many common components. You said it best, it's actually an economic issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are starting out at bad time since its about impossible to find any new control systems other than maybe Lionchief or used which is now way overpriced. If you want to run MTH via remote you need to invest in a DCS system. New ones won’t have handhelds other than phones or tablets. the Cab 3 likewise except for a Cab1L basic controller.

Pete
I am also starting out in O gauge, used to have HO for about 30 years. As of right now I only have 1 MTH Premier engine and the MTH DCS WiFi Explorer so I can run the train from the app. I don't have any Lionel engines as of yet but want to. I think I can run some of the legacy engines that also have Bluetooth using the Lionchief app. I'm guessing the only real option is the new Base 3 as the older #990's on eBay are insanely priced.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I am also starting out in O gauge, used to have HO for about 30 years. As of right now I only have 1 MTH Premier engine and the MTH DCS WiFi Explorer so I can run the train from the app. I don't have any Lionel engines as of yet but want to. I think I can run some of the legacy engines that also have Bluetooth using the Lionchief app. I'm guessing the only real option is the new Base 3 as the older #990's on eBay are insanely priced.
Perhaps once the Base3 is released, the market for the #990 will soften. Nothing to do except remain patient. There is also the Lionel Universal Remote for new engines. If you want an alternative to the app, it's very basic but it's cheap enough (~$40).

·
Admin
47,694 Posts
Perhaps once the Base3 is released, the market for the #990 will soften. Nothing to do except remain patient. There is also the Lionel Universal Remote for new engines. If you want an alternative to the app, it's very basic but it's cheap enough (~$40).
While the demand for the Legacy command base might soften since the BASE2 will replace the Legacy command base. However, since they're not making any more CAB2 remotes, I doubt the market for the CAB2 remote will change, they're still going to be in demand.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nope, and I won't. I never got a Cab-2 or Base 1-L either. I've only got 1 Legacy locomotive, the rest of my Lionel locomotives are TMCC. I see no need to get Legacy for one locomotive, so I just run it with a good old TMCC base, which I also have a spare of.

I buy 90% of my locomotives sans electronics, and then install PS3 or ERR TMCC stuff in them. I doubt I'll be buying any more factory Legacy stuff, so I have no interest in a Base 3.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I have zero interest in Cab3. I'm happy with my Cab2.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
yet the prospect of creating a fairly simple remote somehow upsets the apple cart! I'm not buying it! :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

They are creating a simple remote the CAB1L remote it just does not have the function of the CAB2 remote. A lot of features will be lost.
I’ve tried the current phone app and really don’t like it compared to either the CAB1L or CAB2 remotes

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I also wonder how many of those ordering a CAB3 have a CAB2 system and will plan on keeping it to use the remote. The base has little value without the remote but if they have a 993 system they could sell the spare remote and still have a functioning CAB 2 system.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Lionel is also selling and making the Cab1L which does work with a 990 Legacy base.

Scenario: You have an existing Legacy 990 set, CAB2 and Legacy base. You could then sell your Legacy base to someone who does not want to buy the new CAB3 base when your CAB3 base comes in.
They could use that Legacy base a bunch of different ways.
They use the CAB1L remote - sill being made and sold
They could use the base with an LCS wifi module or full blown LCS system of modules. Just go the APP route.
They could use the base with an MTH DCS system of remote or DCS app over WIFI if they had the 50-1032, and even get Legacy features if they moved up next tier and added an LCS SER2 module.
You could use a PC program over the serial port and run Legacy trains.

I'm just saying, a Legacy base does have value and can be used different ways without a CAB2.

In fact, one way kinda mentioned but might become a whole lot more relevant when it ships is say you get the new DCS WTIU. It's got the built in WIFI and still has the serial port out. You get that 50-1032 TIU to TMCC/Legacy cable, get yourself a used Legacy base, and maybe the LCS SER2, and you run both Legacy and DCS engines over the MTH DCS app. Ideal for those running both brands of trains.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
What I'm saying is, the used market might look slightly different as various products begin arriving.
The 3 products that a huge swath of the market is hoping to arrive soon are:
MTH DCS WTIU (new TIU with integrated WIFI)
Next shipment of CAB1L remotes
CAB3 base

Depending on the order and timing of those, the use market is likely to see some fluctuation.
Example- what is the $ value of a used or new Legacy base worth? Is that number likely to change before and then after the near arrival date of the CAB3 base? Again, we expect some segment of the market pre-ordered CAB3 base, and have existing Legacy 990 sets with the intent to keep the CAB2 remote.
Into the mix is the timing of the DCS WTIU arrival. If those coincide, and those users with the DCS want to add Legacy control- they need a base. The only new base sold is CAB3. As long as the used or break up set Legacy base is being sold, and it's either cheaper or available compared to the timing of the CAB3 base shipping, then in theory there is a market of demand.

Are guys who have a 990 set going to sell their bases early when/if a demand spike for other wanting and needing a Legacy base happens because CAB1L or DCS WTIU arrives BEFORE CAB3? So in the words, they sacrifice their control system for a short time to make some money selling the Legacy base just before CAB3 arrives?

If you thought 2020 and 2021 were dumpster fires- 2022 sure is heating up.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
xample- what is the $ value of a used or new Legacy base

After a recent search a CAB 2 Legacy base sold for $125. So, that might be a solution.

·
Admin
47,694 Posts
still do not see how this will work in a club environment with many different users.
especially with ones that have issues programing the cab2
Not sure what you're getting at here. The BASE3 will just be the Legacy Command Base on steroids. You can still buy the much simpler CAB1L as it will continue to be produced. Lionel is counting on the CAB2 eventually going away, but that ain't happening on my RR! :D As far as the BT and LC side of the BASE3, those shouldn't change the dynamic.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts