Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have listed my problem in the title and I am using digitrax DCS100 in ops mode and when I enter the address my 402D controller shows "good", but when I try to run the engine I can only do it if I select address 03. Anyone have the same problem. I have tried JMRI, but when I have it read the decoder it show it is a Soundtraxx but it shows all of their decoders. I tried selecting 4-4-0 high boiler and 4-4-0 low boiler without success. Anyone have the same problem? Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
From my own experience with SoundTraxx decoders, you also have to flip bit 5 of CV29 to the opposite of the desired setting. So basically if you want to run a low address using CV1, normally you have CV29 bit 5 turned off to enable low addresses... However this also locks that address in place. So to change CV1, you first have to turn on bit 5 of CV29, THEN you can set CV 1, and then flip CV29 back to the original state to use the new address.

If you are trying to set a high address through CV17-18 then it's the opposite. Turn OFF bit 5 of CV29, set the new address in CV17-18, then turn bit 5 of CV29 back on again to use the new address.

Clear as mud? Even when I go through all these steps, I still always have to try several times before I can get the new address to work.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The convention for quite a few years is that, for MOST DCC systems, not all of them, Addresses above 127 are to be thought of as 'long' or as 'extended' addresses. If your new address for your loco is going to be above that number, 127, then you must also input a commensurate value in CV29. If you want the engine to work on either DC or DCC track power, use a value of 38 in CV29. If you don't want to have it work in DC, ever, then programme a value of 34 into CV29. If you google 'CV29 Cal", you'll get several example sites offering to generate the right number value for CV29, and they'll have a table with the values you want based on which direction of travel you want for forward, lights on, off, etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the replies on my issue. I should have mentioned that I am trying to program the engine number 124 which would be the short address. I am using a Digitrax DCS100 to program my engine along with Digitrax PR3 and Soundtraxx PTB-100.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I should have read your original post a little more carefully. I apologize.

Unless I am mistaken (I have a Super Empire Builder with DB150 and twin DT400 throttles), Digitrax says you'll get fewer headaches if you use PG, and not OPS, for programming addresses. I have followed their advice since Day One with my SEB and only used Paged Mode for address assignment. My DT400 display prompts me to tell the system and decoder if it will be a long address.

I think you should do this in PG. The early Soundtraxx decoders from ten years ago were often balky, and either needed a resistor across the rails to do this or they needed a system with programming outputs in "broadcast" or 'paged' mode, which the DB150 has.

If you can't seem to get it work, try acquiring Add "00" on your throttle with just this one engine getting signal through the track, no others on the powered rails, and try setting your address in PG.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Also, FWIW, programming the address on the main is risky, because EVERY loco on the main could get that address...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to program the 4-4-0 using just the soundtraxx PTB-100 and the DCS100 and taking the PR3 out of the circuit. Thanks for all of the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts