Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a Hawthorne Village locomotive? What are your thoughts on them? Someone decided to buy me an Hawthorne Village Coca-Cola F-unit locomotive in HO scale for Christmas. I cannot really tell who actually makes the locomotive. From my research so far it seems like Bachmann used to make them for On30 scale, but not sure about HO. I tried running it on my DCC layout, but it doesn't move and just makes some scary noises. I'm wondering if it only works with standard DC but I need confirmation.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
It is well painted, over priced Bachmann. I have the TX A&M set. A friend of mine has the Univ of Michigan set.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yes, it's bachmann and DC only. Decent running engine if you didn't fry it. They do also make some On30. Some are gimmicky (John Wayne) some are tolerable depending on your personal taste. Generally they are overpriced though.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Hawthorne Village is basically just overpriced Bachmann, intended to appeal to collectors of Coke (or whatever the theme is) memorabilia rather than train people. If you're not paying for it, and don't mind the lack of realism, then it's not a bad loco.

Definitely DC only, though. Pop the shell off and slap a decoder in that puppy!

Reactions: LocoChris

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hawthorne Village is basically just overpriced Bachmann, intended to appeal to collectors of Coke (or whatever the theme is) memorabilia rather than train people. If you're not paying for it, and don't mind the lack of realism, then it's not a bad loco.

Definitely DC only, though. Pop the shell off and slap a decoder in that puppy!
Thanks for the info. I kind of doubt that they made it easy to upgrade to DCC, but I'll take a look. The coupler boxes look like they might be permanently attached, but I need to look more closely. They definitely have plastic couplers.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Thanks for the info. I kind of doubt that they made it easy to upgrade to DCC, but I'll take a look. The coupler boxes look like they might be permanently attached, but I need to look more closely. They definitely have plastic couplers.
They aren't bad. Plenty of room for a decoder. One side pickup is a wire already, the other side goes through the frame for b both the motor and the headlight. I just put a bit of tape over that side. You could remove the contact from the truck to the frame easily enough.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They aren't bad. Plenty of room for a decoder. One side pickup is a wire already, the other side goes through the frame for b both the motor and the headlight. I just put a bit of tape over that side. You could remove the contact from the truck to the frame easily enough.
Looks like they may have changed this locomotive around more recently. See below photo. I was shocked to see a 21MTC connector and a speaker baffle, so that will make it a lot easier to upgrade. Looks like each side has a pickup too, so maybe the B unit is a dummy or completely powered. I don't have that one yet so don't know. The 21MTC has a daughterboard attached with some jumpers, as you can see in the photo. Not really sure what purpose of it is; any guesses?

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Electrical wiring

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
No idea, that's clearly a generation of two up from what I have (I have 4 or 5 actually). Looks pretty nice actually. In mine, the B units are all dummies but have the same frame and weights. Get a motor and hard trucks and your off. But again, mine are clearly different

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No idea, that's clearly a generation of two up from what I have (I have 4 or 5 actually). Looks pretty nice actually. In mine, the B units are all dummies but have the same frame and weights. Get a motor and hard trucks and your off. But again, mine are clearly different
Cool, I'm actually kind of excited to see what the B unit will be like now.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The B unit is a Dummy. I did find a Bachmann Plus powred B and swapped the shell on my A&M one. Now, A and B are powered. I did fall the the advertising. I read to me, $79.00 for the set. Wrong. It was $79.00 per freaking piece. So I just got the locos. Fast Foward, and O found the complete set on Fee Pay for $100. So, I bought it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The B unit is a Dummy. I did find a Bachmann Plus powred B and swapped the shell on my A&M one. Now, A and B are powered. I did fall the the advertising. I read to me, $79.00 for the set. Wrong. It was $79.00 per freaking piece. So I just got the locos. Fast Foward, and O found the complete set on Fee Pay for $100. So, I bought it.
So the second order is $79 for a dummy B unit and an ez-track set? Yep I would say that is a rip-off. Well that's disappointing.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yeah, the msrp prices are a rip. I think it's $79 for each car. I've got several in auction lots pretty cheap. The last was $125 and it had three AB ( corvette, Giants and Yankees) sets and the John Wayne On30, plus some track and EZ commander, 4 of the passenger cars that go with the giants and Yankees, and a few other HO cars.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I picked up most of a POW/MIA set with an A powered engine, 3 or 4 of the passenger cars and a flatbed for super cheap at a local show (something like $30-$40) and I purchased the unpowered B unit on ebay for another $20... All I'm missing is the caboose which is a royal PITA to find.

With my brother being a veteran and me being a first responder I got this set mainly for display only. It does run and I actually enjoy how the couplers move with the curve and wish all my passenger cars had this feature. I plan on mounting some of my old brass track on the walls of my layout or doing a full display case with this engine as well as a hand full of other similar "display" only trains...

I almost pulled the trigger on a few Dale Earnhardt and Earnhardt Jr ones I saw on FB for super cheap but decided to focus the funds on the actual layout...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
So the second order is $79 for a dummy B unit and an ez-track set? Yep I would say that is a rip-off. Well that's disappointing.
It is, and was. But Now I have 2 A's 2 B's and the cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts