Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over 15 years of eligibility I Finally have the time, (and money), to travel to the York TCA show next week. Any advise out there for this first-timer? I waited too long to book a room but the Quality Inn was still available so I have my stay determined.

I was just wondering if anyone in this group has attended the York meet and what advice can you give?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi areizman,

Well, I can offer some general suggestions.

1. You will be doing A LOT of walking, so wear your most comfortable sock/shoe combination. They do have small shuttle buses to take you between halls, if you like.

2. The bathrooms have attendants in them and they have their tip jars out. It's not required that you tip, but I always bring along a separate stash of quarters/dollar bills so I have something I can toss in without dipping into the train fund.

3. Food can be somewhat expensive. Sodas are $2, chicken & fries platter is $8, and a crabcake sandwich is $8. Now, that was the last time I was there a year ago, so prices might even be a little higher. If you have a rental car, maybe you could keep a small cooler in it to hold some drinks or sandwiches to save yourself some money.

4. I don't know what era or brand you're interested in, but the Orange, Brown, and Purple halls are the dealer halls and tend to have the newer items out. The rest of the halls (Blue, Silver, White, Red) are member halls and that's where you tend to find more of the pre/post war items.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. If you have some specific questions, I'll do my best to help out.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. We plan on definitely doing some site seeing locally in the area and on the way back West as we head back towards Chicago. Theres the Choo Choo barn and the TCA museum. What else should we check out?

·
Registered
607 Posts
This is the list of my plan
Wed 10/17
Strasburg PA
Choo Choo Barn
Red Caboose Motel
TCA Museum

Thurs 10/18
York PA
TCA Show

Friday 10/19
York PA
TCA Show

Sat. 10/20
Strasburg PA
Strasburg RR
Corn Maze at Cherry Crest Farms
PA RR Museum
Mini Golf

Sun. 10/21
Manheim PA
PA Renaissance Fair

Mon. 10/22
Lititz PA
Wilbur's Chocolate

·
Registered
607 Posts
When you are in Strasburg, hit the Choo Choo Barn, The Strasburg RR is a must. you can take a train ride and is just a great place to hang out. It takes you through Cherry Crest Farms which will have a lot of fun Fall things to do like pumpkin chucking and corn mazes. Across the street from the RR is the PA Train Museum. A great place to see the real things. You can get a combo ticket from the RR to take a train ride and gain entrance to the museum. The Red Caboose Motel is right next to the TCA Museum. Its a cool place to walk through since you are going to be right there.
If you like Renaissance Fairs, there is a good one in Maheim PA.... not far from the area.
Oh and the food in the Lancaster area is fantastic. Buffets such as Millers and Shady Maple are amazing as well.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Bring or draw a map of the buildings and dealer layout. As you do a first-pass walk-through, accurately mark on you map any items of interest. That way, you'll be able to find them again on return "I'd like to buy that" walk throughs.

(I've lost a few items by not being able to find them again!)

TJ

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
If you see something you want BUY IT THEN, chances are it'll be gone upon your return. BTDT at car show swap meets buying parts more than a few times. Always hoping around the corner the same item will be in better shape or less expensive. It never is. :(

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We got there on Thursday and attended all day through Saturday. It was a bit overwhelming as one Hall was equivalent to the largest train show I have ever been to and there were 7 other halls to go through!

On Saturday we went to the CC barn, rode the Strausburg RR and museum, and stopped in at the TCA museum.

All in all 10:laugh:lbs of potatoes for a 5lb bag. :)

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
You guys are killin' me ...

I am SO jealous right about now ...

(I've never been able to make the pilgrimage to York :mad: )

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
You guys are killin' me ...

I am SO jealous right about now ...

(I've never been able to make the pilgrimage to York :mad: )

TJ

Take the train.:D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm thinking I'll go next year but instead of driving from Chicago I'll fly to Baltimore, rent a car and drive down and stay just one night. Oh, and leave the wife home. :laugh:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
I'm thinking I'll go next year but instead of driving from Chicago I'll fly to Baltimore, rent a car and drive down and stay just one night. Oh, and leave the wife home. :laugh:
Can't you fly right into Harrisburg, York is not that far away from there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts