Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between my wife's stroke, and my ongoing heart problems, we have sold our house, and moved into a two bedroom apartment. I've been granted the small bedroom :), in which I have to put my desk, printer stand, and work bench. I can reasonably fit a small railroad in a 96" X 126" space, provided the bottom of the benchwork is no lower than 60". Has anybody done something like this, did it work for you?

·
Premium Member
HO 1950s SP in So. Cal.
2,612 Posts
I had a small layout in my office and it went over my desk but at about 50 inches.
Worked well for me, a very good viewing angle but not hard to work on.
It was a much narrower layout than you are thinking of.
Most of it was cantilevered off the walls.

60" is pretty high but if you are tall should not be a problem.
Supporting a 96" table at 60" may be a problem.

What scale are you working with?

Magic

·
Registered
383 Posts
Depends on your height, if you are 5' tall, you will not see much without a stool. I would suggest a shelf railroad similar to the Heart Of Georgia, google "Heart Of Georgia model railroad". You can have a lot of action in a twice around on a 12" deep shelf (use a liftout for crossing any doorways.

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
Is 8' x 10.5 feet the size of the room? Because a shelf layout around the perimeter of that, or even most of the perimeter with two larger blobs for the run around loops is very doable. The height, at 60", is high, but not unworkable.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The height of your railroad will affect how far you can reach into it. If it's about waist high you can lean in further because you can bend from the waist. If it's chest high you will be limited to the extent of your reach unless you use a step stool. Your height will have to be considered a factor here.

·
Registered
12,290 Posts
The height of your railroad will affect how far you can reach into it. If it's about waist high you can lean in further because you can bend from the waist. If it's chest high you will be limited to the extent of your reach unless you use a step stool. Your height will have to be considered a factor here.
Meh. As you pointed out, step stools are a thing. So are ladders, for that matter.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
At 60” you’ll need to stand or use a bar stool. Reaching things and doing scenery will be more complicated than typical. I would consider alternatives for that height minimum. I’m presuming it’s for monitor clearance? Does the layout have to go over it? Could the layout be 96 x 96 for example, with the monitor at the formerly 126” end?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts