Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience running 2 lines o gauge side by side through a Hell gate, and if so which model?
Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can't say I have run it this way, but we did mock it up at the local hobby shop.
#1 I assume we are talking the tinplate versions, either Lionel or MTH repro, or an orginal VS say the MTH plastic remake.
#2 So in that case of the tinplate bridges, the plastic insulator spacers are made to go into tubular track ties and yes, on the ones I touched (2 different recent bridges) those are made with prelocated holes for 2 lines of tubular track. You can put fasttrack down it, just that spaces up the resulting rails slightly giving you less overhead clearance. What I cannot remember, was the spacing if 2 fastracks side by side how that spaced out or fit.
#3 The biggest problems I know of with this style of bridge or any bridge really: Ensure you have plenty of straight before the bridge and after the bridge for boilers to swing, long cars to align and so forth. Far too often people try to slap a curve right at the entrance or exit to a bridge.
#4 TMCC radio signal. The lights on these are using the bridge frame as ground, so if you use the same transformer accessory power for the bridge or some sort of common "U" terminal, you can affect your TMCC signal across the bridge and trains will stop dead in the bridge. One way we handled this locally was either not use the lights (not ideal) or use a different small like a 20 watt K-line accessory transformer just for this bridge lights so as to isolate it from the tracks common U and thus TMCC signal.

Sadly, I have a brand new MTH repro in the box not yet on my own layout mainly because thinking about doing a tinplate only layout and given I also have standard gauge, making more 5 rail standard and O combined track for said tinplate land.

I'll try this morning/afternoon to unbox and take pictures of various track options for you. Again, I've used this bridge, I've helped others with this bridge, just don't have a recent example with pictures of a double track and the "how we did it".

·
Registered
75 Posts
FWIW, and unsure if a link to the "other place" is allowed, but a solid discussion on size details of the Lionel Hellgates Hellgate Bridge 300 and 305 – the definitive comparison
Sorry in advance if I broke protocol. Just trying to help.
Looks like you want the #305 specifically made for 2 O tracks.

Also, trying to give credit but the user who posted this is listed at "Former Member" so um yeah.....
the Lionel re-issue of the bridge in 1999 as the number 305, modified to accept two O Gauge tracks (Lionel 6-32904).

The "original" 300 Hellgate Bridge is 28-1/2" long overall, 10-3/4" wide, and 11-1/2" high.

The clearances of the bridge opening are 5-7/8" wide and 7-1/2" high at the center point of the arch (7" above tubular track rail).

The re-issue 305 Hellgate bridge is 30" long overall, 12" wide, and 11-1/8" high.

The clearances of the opening are 7" wide and 7-1/2" high at the arch center point - still 7" above the track rails.
So the bad news for me, I have an MTH repro 10-1015 which should be a #300 style not the #305, which is what I think you might want for a 2 track?
In other words, my bridge should be the narrow bridge, and that won't work well for a 2 track, so me offering to take pictures won't be of the ideal bridge, and the better repro would be a #305 AKA Lionel 6-32904 which BTW, Trainz has one.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I own both the Lionel 6-32999 (red & white) and the Lionel 6-32904 (cream & green). Both will accommodate two O gauge tracks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, well sadly the limited space will have me going right into a curve, so I'll still put a bridge just on a much smaller scale.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Okay. Just in case someone stumbles on this thread at a later date, here are a couple pics of two FasTrack going through.
IMG_8768.JPG
IMG_8769.JPG

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks everyone, well sadly the limited space will have me going right into a curve, so I'll still put a bridge just on a much smaller scale.
You might be able to get by with a short straight, say 5 inches depending on the curve and what you are running. I was just trying to make you aware of the typical gotcha that bites a lot of folks.
They plan trackplans in software, or just what fits on their table, and then run the first train, maybe it fits, then run another train and forget- bam earth shaking crash right into the edge of a metal bridge, not to mention, typically, the bigger engine is also a more expensive engine......

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might be able to get by with a short straight, say 5 inches depending on the curve and what you are running. I was just trying to make you aware of the typical gotcha that bites a lot of folks.
They plan trackplans in software, or just what fits on their table, and then run the first train, maybe it fits, then run another train and forget- bam earth shaking crash right into the edge of a metal bridge, not to mention, typically, the bigger engine is also a more expensive engine......
Thanks, sadly no, 2 feet of straight right into 42 inch radius turns only thought is go single rail to center it, but not sure I want to pay the $$$ and find out ng

1 - 8 of 8 Posts