Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say hello here as I learn and explore the forum. Beginner level railroader here starting a 10x10 u shaped HO layout which works for me as I am vaguely modelling Halifax / Dartmouth, NS, which runs around Halifax Harbour and Bedford Basin. Home of Canada’s East Coast Navy. I have a colleague from work that often joins me and we hope to have a nice layout to run some operations some day. A little more at a time.

I am a new member of the Dartmouth Model Railroaders Association as well, but sadly it’s been a little quiet so far due to Covid
Layout will be posted in the My Layout section.

Gary Russell
Hammonds Plains, Nova Scotia

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Thank you both !
Welcome, are you planning on including a Harbor scene? ( or harbour ) :)

Old picture somewhere on the harbor.
Nice stack to model in the second picture. Sticks out.
The second picture is in the same spot years later.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Big Ed, you’ve hit the nail on the head, the Harbour is actually represented by the empty space in the middle of that layout and yes, part of that dockyard will be simulated on my Halifax side. The towers you mention (3 now) originally was just 1 and it is from the old Nova Scotia power plant and will be a key structure on the Dartmouth side of my layout. It is now Emera, but I want their old logo as well, as I remember when the sign came down. I am utilizing some of these pics that you found as well, and the scratchbuilt Navy shed on my pic is a rough practice for future dockyard wharf.

The tower is actually close to 6 scale feet tall, so it will be modelled slightly smaller for sure, part of this middle pier will be the end of my layout

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
You have a U shape, build a table on wheels so you can pull it out when needed?
Make the whole pullout the harbor?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, my table is built on wheels by coincidence, the harbour will not pull out though, only edges of the harbour will appear in spots. Some examples of a plan template are shown in my layout section.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Gary,
I don't see where there is much railroading opportunity at/in a naval ship yard. And are you and your colleague going to scratch build ships for it ? Because, I don't know if there are many 1:87 scale naval ship kits. Why not instead choose a non-naval dock scene with industries in it which rely on both rail service and ship service (if your desire is to have ships and boats) ? A naval yard hits me as a tad askew for a beginner level train layout...It seems like something more suited to a large club layout's coastal area....
Also, if you plan to have it on wheels, rolling it around is chancing knocking trains off the tracks and structures shifting position if not (ironically) anchored to the bench... M

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you telltale, you make excellent points. Everything will be a combination of scratchbuilt and kits and yes, I may have to scratchbuild a ship or two. The layout will portray a little history as well, hence the possibility of a couple of scale Navy ships.

Maybe an old steamer or two at about 300 feet or roughly 3real feet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts