Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I won this car in a lot on E-Bay.
Are there any O gaugers here that know what this is?

It Has Small Kadee Os5-3 Couplers. ( goes around the track hooked to regular sized couplers)
Trucks are screwed to wood frame.
Real springs in the trucks.
Wood bottom with metal wire.
Brass steps all the way around. Brake wheel too.
I think the top is wood I know the cat walk is.
The four hatches may be wood also.
Plastic sides though. (I believe, as they sound like plastic)
I didn't want to scrape anything.
I'm trying to identify it.
Anyone know the manufacturer of this car? Year?
Nice old from a kit car?
More pictures in Members Gallery,
big ed's album,
Under Miscellaneous.

Tanks for helping.:D

Pabst Milw #3.JPG

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My guess is an Arista Craft kit. Compare this to what you have.
That sure looks close to what I got T-man. But those have the large couplers. Mine has small Kadee OS5-3 couplers.
My doors an hatches don't open. Mine has a wood top and bottom, not sure about the sides. I will have to test it. Could be an all wood kit.

Why did they use the Small Kadee couplers on these?
The couplers do hook up to my O gauge (O/27) couplers but look funny. And not really secured right. I will take a picture of the difference in size.
I have been thinking about fitting it with regular O sized couplers. What do you think?

The car is just a bit bigger then an O gauge car.

I tried finding what year Aristo-Craft was founded but couldn't dig anything up.
Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Why did they use the Small Kadee couplers on these?
The couplers do hook up to my O gauge (O/27) couplers but look funny. And not really secured right. I will take a picture of the difference in size.
I have been thinking about fitting it with regular O sized couplers. What do you think?
Whoever was running this on their layout must have been using a 2-rail O scale setup...

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoever was running this on their layout must have been using a 2-rail O scale setup...

I never got into anything about two rail O gauge.
They run those small Kadee couplers?
Guess I will have to do a little Two Rail researching.:D

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I got this tender and can't find any info on it.

The shell is a #1130-27 and the frame says 90-8302-T03

The wheel on it contacts the center rail and when it goes around it has balls in it to make a sound.
It was advertised as sounding "like a can of beans" lol

It sounds more like a baby rattle to me.:D

Anyone know the year they made these? or any more info on them?
I never saw one before.:confused:

It has a repainted (?) Jersey Central shell. The inside is the blue color Lionel had for them. Though the letters don't look like a heat stamp,or a decal.

It came with an #8632 loco posted in the Anything New thread.

P2280006.jpg

·
Yard Master & Research
10,692 Posts
Ed, it goes with an 8903 also.It should be in the early Lionel supplements. My sons 8903 is strickly a DC Set.
My son has the 8632 it was in an 8644 set. The engine part list is in supplemental 32 page a63 and page 22 by Adobe reader. The electric diagram is on page 12,by adobe reader and in supplement 21.

I cannot find the tender in 1 thru 15 supps. I could look in the MPC era disc but that is the 1-9 I think.
I t goes to the 70's maybe even earlier.

You got a good deal. That's the book value but I have seen dealers sell the engine for 40 to 60.

The Tender is mechanical it is on page 175 adobe, in the 1-9 supplementals or page 4-4. The description is small round tender top. BUt extra parts are needed for the mechanical version. It first came out with the 8302 engine. It is also decsribed as SOS, SOund of Steam, I have the electronic version. It actually runs on AC.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ed, it goes with an 8903 also.It should be in the early Lionel supplements. My sons 8903 is strickly a DC Set.
My son has the 8632 it was in an 8644 set. The engine part list is in supplemental 32 page a63 and page 22 by Adobe reader. The electric diagram is on page 12,by adobe reader and in supplement 21.

I cannot find the tender in 1 thru 15 supps. I could look in the MPC era disc but that is the 1-9 I think.
I t goes to the 70's maybe even earlier.

You got a good deal. That's the book value but I have seen dealers sell the engine for 40 to 60.

The Tender is mechanical it is on page 175 adobe, in the 1-9 supplementals or page 4-4. The description is small round tender top. BUt extra parts are needed for the mechanical version. It first came out with the 8302 engine. It is also decsribed as SOS, SOund of Steam, I have the electronic version. It actually runs on AC.

Is the engine #8632 strictly DC then?
I tried it with AC and it ran backwards for a moment. Then nothing?
It's got an on/off switch but it doesn't say what it is for.

The engine part list is in supplemental 32 page a63 and page 22 by Adobe reader. The electric diagram is on page 12,by adobe reader and in supplement 21.

Where do I find all this? You got a link?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,692 Posts
The 8632 is a DC motor with the Electronic e unit. The off switch locks it into netral forward or reverse. Lionel Service document link

The best way to find a page is to go by the adobe reader. The pages given are for the manuals but to find it again I go bythe the adobe page.

BTW there are 44 supplements and you have to search to find something. Nothing is easy here.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 8632 is a DC motor with the Electronic e unit. The off switch locks it into netral forward or reverse. Lionel Service document link

The best way to find a page is to go by the adobe reader. The pages given are for the manuals but to find it again I go bythe the adobe page.

BTW there are 44 supplements and you have to search to find something. Nothing is easy here.
thanks T:thumbsup:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,692 Posts
That is the only place I have reference to that tender. This was the set I gave my son that we found with cat hair at a yard sale for 5.00. The tender is a Rio Grande . It dates to the 70's. I have a video of the sound AC sound system that replaced the wheel.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heres one for you.

Anyone know what they use this for?

I found it in a tanker rail yard.:D

Take a guess I will tell later.

P3190012.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Just a guess on my part ...

Looks like some sort of a service platform, like for working on the inner roof of an underpass or tunnel?

Is that an air compressor tank?

1 - 20 of 168 Posts