Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is my first time posting and looking for some advice - identifying this electric motor.
A8F043DE-4179-4EBD-8787-D013B8882694.jpeg
CD991FBD-BEC7-4E25-8119-765D35077B52.jpeg
FD6860B9-AF32-4349-9992-E0FE837A9BC7.jpeg

I can’t seem to find examples of these brass brushes... maybe they are the springs? Motor arrived just as you see in the pictures. It runs well on track, but the I am sure the brass brushes are missing something - Sparking and likely rubbing the copper in “ the wrong way”. Looking forward to any advice you all can offer! - Joshua

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
Hi, welcome to the site.
All you have is the motor?

I think it is early Lionel?
I am searching, so far all I found is what looks close to your brush setup.

Not exact but close, with the insulator and the brush arms.
Different but the same style, these fit locomotives with the raised center 'humpback' motors used in #150, 152, 153, 154

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
Your brush arms look toasted?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Excellent, and yes all I have is the motor... bought it with a lot of Marx motors, it was labeled “Ives”, That image you attached with the brass springs (brush holder) is what I was expecting to see - and confirming the mine are worn down...

And excuse me for being naive, but the #150, 2,3,4 refer to the Lionel locomotive, or the motor?

And just to explain, I have only recently picked up this hobby - diving head first into repairing prewar Marx locomotives.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, this one has side rods? Or at least used to, do the humpback locos have side rods?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
It could be Ives yet still looking around.
It has to be prewar (before 1942) might be from the 20's or 30's.
I found an old thread on the Humpback motor here, still looking.
If the OP ever came on here he might be able to help. But his has not logged on in a long time.
We lost one of our Mods back in Dec 2019, I would bet he would have know what it was off.
He is in this old thread......he was Teledoc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And how about that pickup shoe, not seeing anything like it from Ives or Lionel

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
Also, this one has side rods? Or at least the used to, the humpback locos have side rods?
No it was geared, pictures are in the thread I posted.

Reactions: Jmnorman

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
It could be Ives?
Google search is only bringing up pictures of the whole locomotive, I am searching for just motors.:rolleyes:
You see this site?

If Ives it could be one of those shown?
Some motors had the side rods.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have looked over several examples of Ives, and was almost convinced it was a motor from the early cast iron steam locomotives... but again those brushes-pickup shoe-even the metal T plate covering the armature... nothing has clicked.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
That has no side rods?
I have been searching for the pickup shoe. all I found was the shoe with the 2 pickups.
If we can find that we could ID the motor.
I got to run out for a while. we have a lot of knowledgeable members.
Just got to wait till they come on.

Our one and only Mod/admin Gunrunner John associates with this place, HENNING'S TRAINS
That is where I got the pictures of the brushes from.
You might be able to send them pictures asking if they have the brushes and ask them if they can ID the motor.

A lot of us deal with Jeff here, Welcome to The Train Tender - Internet Reference

He might be able to ID what you have too, there is a telephone number, he likes/welcomes all to call.
You might be able to send him those pictures too.

In the meantime someone might come on and know, you may have to wait a bit.

I will be back later, got's to run.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
I don't know how much you know so here is a link to with diagrams of Prewar motors.

Got to go for sure now the clocks a ticking. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ed- I never expected such a quick and enthusiastic response to the question. Again, I really appreciate the time and advice!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
I live for the moment, besides Horror stories I love Mysteries. :)
And I would like to know now too for future reference.
Someone will know, it might take a while for them to see the thread.

Best to call Jeff or Hennings, I guess your looking for the brush assembly?
Maybe the side rods, wheels if needed and other things, they might have them too.
That bottom shoe looks like new.
Strange I can't find one, normally by searching the net I do, that one is evading me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Before posting I thought the shoe was “new” maybe even home made, but there is not really evidence of it being disassembled in the past

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Every Ives Loco I saw with the same body, has a clockwork (windup) motor. It may not be the Loco's original motor. Take a look to see if any modifications were made to mount the motor.

The plot thickens ...

Note: Train Tender doesn't have an Ives part list. But send him an email with the motor pic. He may have information.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here’s a little follow up - with additional photos.

1) After looking at the shoe again, I am pretty sure it was homemade - It has some clearly rough edges, a hobby soldering job, and I am almost positive the insulated board is a lacquered chip board from the back of an old radio! Also, the brass rivets look like they belong on a pair of blue jeans or leather jacket...

2) the only evidence of it being tooled with is a small bent corner ... visible in the second picture. That means the drivers probably came off at some point and were reattached. Maybe not even original?

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
That would be a good reason why I can't find any like that.
It is one of a kind. :)

Not bad for a MacGyver job, you said it runs good?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts