Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
I think I posted something a while ago but I will post it again. I would like to make signs for buildings etc on my HO layout. I have word and publishe 2007. Paint Shop Pro 9 also. I am running windows 10 on my computer. I just need some simple instructions to setup and how to sign the size and add graphics to it. I have an HP color printer and cardstock. My son says I can just make it in regular inches but he never told me how to do it!!!
Thanks much
Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can use MS Word. It's a little clunky, but you can even download a template for signs. If you click "FILE" then "New" you can type in "signs" in the Office.com templates box. Then make the sign you want. You can resize in inches by right clicking the sign and clicking on Format Picture (or autoshape, whatever) and you can resize it in inches in the menu that pops up. ore you could start with an autoshape (rectangle) and size it to the size you want and put pictures and text in. Play around. You can't hurt anything. After you get through editing print that puppy out and slap it on something. see how it looks. Don't like it? Do it again! Size it to whatever you are going to put it on. you could measure a sign in real life and then scale it if you were really into it.
Jester

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Structure wall signs

HI
I think I posted something a while ago but I will post it again. I would like to make signs for buildings etc on my HO layout. I have word and publishe 2007. Paint Shop Pro 9 also. I am running windows 10 on my computer. I just need some simple instructions to setup and how to sign the size and add graphics to it. I have an HP color printer and cardstock. My son says I can just make it in regular inches but he never told me how to do it!!!
Thanks much
Bill
nrscroller;

If you plan to put any signs on the sides of structures, you might skip the card stock. While card stock will be fine for things like hanging signs, and billboards, those large signs painted onto the side of a building will be better looking if you use very thin paper, or commercial decal paper in your printer. That way the signs can snuggle down into any cracks, mortar lines, etc. and look like they were painted on. www.amazon.com has decal paper for sale.

good luck & have fun;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I agree with Old Hobo -- PowerPoint is a good option. Publisher will work just fine.

For size, remember that you're dealing with a scale here -- everything we do is 1/87th the size of the real thing. So a 10' x 4' sign is 1.4" x .55" in HO.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks eeveryone, I kinda got a couple made with word today and its ok, as I go on I am sure I will get better.
Bill

·
Registered
227 Posts
I disagree with Traction Fan a bit. Heavier card stock is a bit much, but I find that standard paper can curl a bit at the corners in time due to humidity issues. Unless you do a complete job of gluing in place, it can happen. I'd suggest something lighter, like business card stock. The stuff you get to make your own business cards is lighter than the commercial printers use, so it should be light enough.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I think the advantage powerpoint has over word is that you can put text in a text box and then reduce the box size. With word I think you stuck trying to reduce the font. You could also scan a larger item and then reduce the resulting jpg.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Some kind of good print paper or light card stock is OK for free-mounted signs. The issue with representing signs painted on buildings is the lack of white color. To my knowledge there are no current consumer-grade printers that include a white pigment. One option to consider is using dry transfer lettering on decal paper. As for sizing, Publisher will allow you to reduce the original size to whatever you need. Photoshop Elements is another good program - a bit pricey but if you do any amount of photography it is very handy to have.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I think the advantage powerpoint has over word is that you can put text in a text box and then reduce the box size. With word I think you stuck trying to reduce the font. You could also scan a larger item and then reduce the resulting jpg.
You can cut the text box, paste it as a picture, and resize it, but yeah, PowerPoint is easier in that respect.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Some kind of good print paper or light card stock is OK for free-mounted signs. The issue with representing signs painted on buildings is the lack of white color. To my knowledge there are no current consumer-grade printers that include a white pigment. One option to consider is using dry transfer lettering on decal paper. As for sizing, Publisher will allow you to reduce the original size to whatever you need. Photoshop Elements is another good program - a bit pricey but if you do any amount of photography it is very handy to have.
Not white pigment, no, but you can print them on white decal paper. You can also print them on heavier paper, let it dry thoroughly, and spray it with a fixative. Then moisten the back of the paper and gently rub it. You can remove most of the thickness of the paper that way, leaving you with a very thin sign.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Old Hobo..
Using PowerPoint how do you get the size to come out to HO scale size when you print. Is their a setting to use in the menu somewhere where you can specify inches etc.??

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
You can set the properties of an object, including it's size. Insert the shape / text box. Right click on it and select "format shape". One of the options will be "Size" and you can set it there, in inches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finalizing some of my signs. I've been using photoshop and love the way they're turning out.....

Hoping they'll print the way they look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts