Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed an NCE basic system on my layout. I have some DCC locos I've had for a while. I don't have any paperwork with them.
A couple locos I bought at a show, someone installed DCC, and I don't have any paperwork for those either. I want to go in and change, bells, horns, volume etc. How do I know which cv number can change those if I don't have a list of cv's ? Some units I don't even know what decoder is in them ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you know the kind of decoder you can go to their website. I'd you don't put tge loco on your test track. Go to test track on your cab. It will give you the decoder name or sometimes it's just like a 4 digit number you can look up.. usually companies use the same CV's on all their decoders. So going to the manufacturers website you can find what they have their CVS set to.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
First, I'd suggest downloading and installing JMRI (if you have a desktop or laptop computer, Mac or PC).

JMRI made things MUCH easier when I was trying to learn how to change CV's, set up functions and lighting, etc.

To find out (in each engine) who made the decoder, you can read the value of CV 8.

Then, compare the result to the list I've attached to this post. It's a "pdf" file.

Once you have the manufacturer, then it will take some sleuthing to determine which particular -model- of decoder is in an engine. You might have to do some research (at the manufacturer's site) to determine "which is which".

As kev noted above, sometimes the model number of the decoder is on the decoder itself -- you'll have to open up the engine to find out.

If you can't determine the EXACT model number of the decoder, you may get "close enough" with another in a particular series.
For example, I'm thinking of the Digitrax "126" line. Or, their "123" line.
I'm going to GUESS that if you don't have the exact 126 model number, other model numbers with the "126" prefix may respond "enough" to get the job done.

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Like you I have a few DCC locomotives for a while. I suggest you open them up and do a full cleaning on everyone you own as the gear lube starts to gel after time. It will also be a good way to see what decoder types are involved. Get to know the internals and they will last a lot longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts