Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im trying to fix up this Lionel 153 block signal. Does Anyone know if this flat pice of steel can be taken out? :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Welcome to the board!
If you just need to rewire it, you do not have to take the base apart. Take the bulbs out, and you can pull the lamp contacts out with the wire. Here is an exploded view of the signal. The binding post can be replaced with a dual-threaded unit that does not need to be riveted in place like the originals, part #153-4R. A picture of it is here.

Larry

(The #153 does not use the bi-metallic strip, the #253 does).

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Am I not seeing something?
Just to rewire you don't need to take anything off?
Maybe just have to take the Targets screw off?
The binding post? Just replace?

What am I missing?:confused:

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Thank you : )
Hey SJ, when you want to quote like I did above, instead of hitting reply look on the right there is the word quote click on that and then type your reply underneath what you will see after you hit the quote button.

I guess you thanked 4 in your thankyou posts above?
If you want to quote like how it came out above, just do what I told you above.

I didn't know you wanted to repaint I thought you just wanted to rewire and fix the binding post.

See the 4 tabs underneath? bend them up and the whole post will come out. But too much bending of the tabs will break them. You should be able to bend up 2 and just bend the other 2 up a hair and slide it out? The less bending you do the better.

The target and ladder just the 2 screws hold it on.
The post cap just pulls off.
The base on top of the green base for the post pole is probably held on by tabs too?

·
Registered
679 Posts
CAUTION: The drive screws that hold the platform and target in place are NOT removable screws. They are one way screws that are pressed in and they DO NOT come out. Any attempt will break the target casting.

Larry

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
CAUTION: The drive screws that hold the platform and target in place are NOT removable screws. They are one way screws that are pressed in and they DO NOT come out. Any attempt will break the target casting.

Larry
Larry, I am not arguing this but am in the learning mode. :confused:
I never had one of these apart.

There must be a way to fix the target somehow? You can buy another platform, I am guessing you can find a target somewhere? Is the platform screw a drive screw too? It is not listed as one?
Drill them out if you need to?
If that was in wood you would be able to screw them out, right? The original drive screws were made to hammer in and screw out of wood?
The drive screw dates back to 1885, I didn't know that it's origin went back that far.

You can buy a new platform, you can buy the drive screws, tell me would the 153-12 be the target? Jeff lists it as a screw base. Is that the target?

The Olsen's lists the 2 different targets as 153-11 & 153-46. The 153-11 screw light bulb type, the other had the bayonet type bulb.

153-12 cast screw base target 4.00
153-14 drive screw exact repro w/truss hd 0.50
153-15 platform reproduction 3.50
153-19 ladder painted orange LIMITED 3.00

Why the heck did they make it with those and not screw type!
I guess it was easier for mass production?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Big Ed,
It is fun to learn. Referencing the exploded view, the 153-12 on Train Tenders' site may be the 153-2 on the exploded view. I do not know if there is a typo somewhere, but it is the base. Again, I do not know why Jeff lists it as "cast screw base target". It is the base, and not the target. Olsen's listings are correct for the targets. I have a 153 I am repairing that has a broken target, and I have all the parts to repair it. The drive screws have no screwdriver slot or any way to get them out. They are not screwed in, but pressed in. I am sure if you have a drill press and a small milling cutter to start a hole on a curved surface, you may be able to drill out the drive screws, or just continue to mill them out.

The designs of all trains and accessories was changed from screw base bulbs to bayonet base for production reasons. On the assembly line, it took less time to install a bayonet bulb than a screw base bulb. Fractions of a second count, when multiplied by the thousands of bulbs inserted per week. (For a somewhat humorous book about time and motion studies, see here).

Larry

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
It sucks when they make something like that!
It should have been made with regular screws. :rolleyes:

But like you pointed out, that is a good thing to know before you try to dismantle it.

How many other train things use these? Are there a lot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah ok thank you im not the best with computers : )... well the green post however is in decent condition only a few chips and scracthes its the post ladder and the two black parts i want to take care of i have already started with the ladder

1 - 16 of 16 Posts