Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a considerable time away from the hobby, I have decided to build a Lionel Fastrack layout for only TMCC (8 engines). The three conventional engines I have will mostly just be displayed on shelves or run once in a while on the outside loop for nostalgia’s sake.
So, I am asking for help in refining block control and wiring to this end.
1. I think I would only need blocks to (a) shut off power to a parked train or engine that would stay lit (mostly passenger) and (b) the blocks would help me manage shorts and other problems.
2. I have two 180 watt Bricks, two Legacy Powermasters, two Cab1s and one TMCC base. My thought is to power the outer loop and center crossing with one and the inner loop including the reverse loops and all of the yard stubs and service area stubs with the second. Will the Cab1s each power an engine anywhere on the layout? Is this enough power? I have a CW-80 and a postwar ZW for accessories and lighting.
3. Can I use SPST toggles to control all of the blocks or is there a need to connect all or some of the blocks to both power supplies with SPDT toggles.
4. All of my switches are Command Control/Remote Control. Do I need to power them separately? I plan to locate the remote controls near each switch for visitors to throw; otherwise the Cab1 should throw them, correct?
5. I’ll use Bus lines for the negative connections and some (along with single lines) for the positive connections. Does this make sense? How far apart should feeders be? All connections will be run through barrier strips where the toggle switches are located at the control panel. What extra circuit breakers or TVS do you recommend and where?
Attached is a plan for blocks. Would you add or delete any?
Thank you in advance for your input. I’m learning as I go, but as you can see, am still a bit unclear on all of this.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm thinking that you might remove "the purple x" at the bottom and re-locate those crossovers to either end of the "purple siding" up above.

This would give you room for a decent "station area" perhaps with a few building around it...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The purple and yellow diagonal tracks next to the yard and service areas create reversing loops, whereby a train reverse direction and travel back the way it came from. That's not terminal but it will require some special wiring or a pair of auto reversers.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
TMCC is a special control system for 3 rail
Lionel type trains is it not? If it is, there is
no need for special circuitry in the reverse loop
sections since the center rail never touches
either of the side rails. Members with TMCC experience could
help you with your other questions.

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts