Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK - so I just got my old set from 1973 running on new Fastrak and last night I played around with attempting to get the locomotive to reverse.

It wasn't reversing, and actually began to stop after traveling for a couple of seconds. It had been working just fine until I fudged with the reversing switch. So me, being the novice I am decided to take apart the engine. I'm certain it is a model 8602 with 2 position reversing unit - pages 3-39 and 3-40 in the Lionel 1970-1986 document. It's just a few screws - what could go wrong?

I almost had it back together, then noticed a thin piece of metal lying on the floor. It is the front truck spring - p/n 8302-16.

I have the view of the locomotive from the document, but I'm not exactly sure how that spring goes back - and actually the front truck for that matter. I'm unable to post pictures but if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,633 Posts
Well I checked my 8602 and I do not have the original front bracket.

The shell is cast This spring is a square so it must fit up in the shell and press down on the truck.

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

This is the same front bracket but on an 8625. This shell is plastic and has a bump out to hold the front truck on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks T-Man. Your top picture is identical. What is holding the truck in place?

Looking at my truck it could be that I just need to bend down that little tang or bent part that fits in the slot of the truck. It has probably been bent out of shape over the years.

I put it back together but I'm wondering if I've fried the reversing unit. The headlight works so it is getting power but now the locomotive doesn't move.

I think I found the problem. There is a plastic piece on the reversing unit that has broken off. I may attempt to super glue it. If that doesn't work I'll have to locate a replacement.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,633 Posts
The tab fits into the slot of the bracket. Once screwed into place the truck is held down by that plastic piece. The truck lays on the track naturally so all you need is the spring to stop the truck from dislodging from the slot.

The reverse unit is only a switch. You can lock it in one position. Done by using the lever you can hear it cycle when the lever is in the right position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to your assistance it's back together correctly and running again.

However, it is only going backwards.

What did I do wrong? I've tried moving the switch but it's only going backwards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please explain "push up the cylinder". Sorry for all of the questions. I'm learning. Thank You.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,633 Posts
Looking down you see the wire on one side and the common rivet on the other. With the two transformer wires connected( even by touching) the coil should work when connected

IMG_0592.JPG

The cylinder in the down position.

IMG_0593.JPG

The cylinder has a wire moving a wiper. You can see the wiper here

IMG_0594.JPG

or here

IMG_0595.JPG

The wiper moves from side to side reversing the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Unfortunately I am back to square 1. I'm afraid the 2 position manual switch and reversing unit are too far gone for this locomotive to work properly.

I'll preface my comments/questions with this. I've tried to contact Lionel customer support several times. They are either off until next week or just too busy to answer my call. And their voice mail is full so you cannot leave a message. I've sent email to them with no replies.

I have confirmed the following. The number on the side of the locomotive is 8302. The parts for it are shown on the Lionel document 1Complete.pdf on pages 3-36 through 3-38. According to that the manual switch is part number 8040-7 and the reversing unit part number is 101-1. I've tried to attach a pdf showing those pages.

Question - Is the reversing unit on this locomotive considered an E-UNIT? If not, can it be replaced by an E-UNIT. I've seen some that look just like the reversing unit on mine.

Does anyone know which exact part number I should purchase so I can get the locomotive fixed for good?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank You Millstone Mike - I contacted TrainTender and the part has been ordered. It's worth a shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts