Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a (another) set of decals that is missing the clear film on top of the printing. Anyone have a trick to save the decal?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Lay them on a flat surface and Spray them with clear Krylon and let them dry. Usually 2 or 3 coats will stabilize the decals. You just need to trim them as close as possible. Let them dry well too....

Tom

·
Registered
809 Posts
Lay them on a flat surface and Spray them with clear Krylon and let them dry. Usually 2 or 3 coats will stabilize the decals. You just need to trim them as close as possible. Let them dry well too....

Tom
Smart Man.....
They make a special coating spray for decals, but why pay 3 times as much for it.

Dan

·
Registered
717 Posts
Are we talking about decals with damaged decal film, or is the decal layer completely gone and all that is left is the printing?

If the decal film layer is just aged or damage, then some basic clear coat (brush or spray) should stabilize it enough to keep using the decals.

If the decal layer completely gone, then I'd advise the purchase of "liquid decal film" which is cheap and useful. It will create a whole new layer of film even if all that's currently left on the paper is printing.

Best of luck!.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are we talking about decals with damaged decal film, or is the decal layer completely gone and all that is left is the printing?

If the decal film layer is just aged or damage, then some basic clear coat (brush or spray) should stabilize it enough to keep using the decals.

If the decal layer completely gone, then I'd advise the purchase of "liquid decal film" which is cheap and useful. It will create a whole new layer of film even if all that's currently left on the paper is printing.

Best of luck!.
Pretty sure someone forgot the final layer when making the decal. I was holding off til I finished but I ended up using glosscoat because it was there on the work table. Two decals went on easy then a bigger one shredded, so I put on another coat. Hopefully I can finish in the morning.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Looks great! The decal rescue technique isn’t perfect, but it works most of the time.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts