Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To start with I must tell you I am a complete novice/newcomer, so please excuse my ignorance.
I have built a little fiddle yard shaped like an H with another vertical line 3 1/2 meters long, 350mm wide. My query is if power is supplied to just one of the 3.5m lengths do I have to wire uo all the ens to complete the power circut? Its non digital at present but I intend to go digital very soon

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
If you're asking if your track needs to be in a complete loop to work, or to join the loose ends to make a loop, the answer is no.

You wire each rail consistently (one color wire always goes to the left or right rail, the other color to the opposite rail). You can use as many feeders as you need to have good power to all the tracks. The electrical circuit is completed by electricity traveling from one rail up the locomotive's pickups, through the motor (load), and returning to the opposite rail.

You can safely dead-end all of your track / wiring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another query, If I set my Fiddle yard up to run DCC, can I unplug DCC power pack and plug in an analogue power pack/control to run my non DCC locos.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yes, that is possible. It won't work mixing them up, so don't do it. Always switch positively between the two power systems, or remove one prior to activating the other.

Digitax systems allow the use of Address "00" to operate DC locomotives, but it sounds like you're torturing the drive mechanism. It works, but it's a horrible experience.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mesentaria, Yep I was intending to switch off and unplug before plugging in DC, I'll have to use manual point changing as well.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
The most simple and most safe way to use BOTH DCC and DC
on the same layout is to use a Double Pole Double Pole (DPDT)
switch. In one position your layout gets DCC power and
in the other it gets DC. (But never at the same time) However, as mentioned, it is imperative
that no DC loco sits idly on the track when powered by DCC.
Damage will ensue.

Don

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm stuck at the moment wiring my Fiddle Yard Most of it runs but do I need power feeds both sides of points?................and I havent even started on powering up the points. Please excuse my ignorance..

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
HTML:
I'm stuck at the moment wiring my Fiddle Yard Most of it runs but do I need power feeds both sides of points?................and I havent even started on powering up the points. Please excuse my ignorance..
It depends on the brand and model of your turnouts(switches).

Also, can you sketch your track plan and upload a picture(using ADVANCED and MANAGE ATTACHMENTS)?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just put in a yard on my layout and found that the hardest part of it is knowing how your switches work. I have 2 peco switches on it and 4 atlas switches. The peco and atlas switches act different when you throw them. Anyway I had a bad atlas switch so I load power to over half of my yard. What I did is use jumper wires to diagnose the issue and wires around it. I intend on switching to specifically peco in the future but that’s what I had laying around

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Well, you've just discovered the hard way that "lying around" and "worth using" are not synonymous.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
As mentioned before, some turnouts are power routing;
that means when the points are set to straight, the
divert track loses power and the straight track loses
power when points set to divert.

Thus, if you are losing power when points are set
in a certain way, yes, you must add track drops
to both frog rails of each turnout.

It would help to know the brand and model of your
turnouts.

Don

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
" Hornby points will only send power to the line they are set to."

I think you need to connect power (both + and -) at the red circles at a minimum
This will allow an engine on the diverging route to stay still when turnout is aligned to other direction

Attachments

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
Since Dennis says Hornby turnouts are power
routing it will be necessary to run track
drops from EVERY frog rail to ensure power.

However, if you want any one spur to be 'powered
off' for loco storage, omit the frog rail track drop for
that spur.

Don

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another query, will the aforementioned still apply if i convert to DCC? Sorry if all this sounds innane, I have absolutely zero knowledge of model railways, my experience over the last50 years has all been slotcars.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Don't worry about it. Questions are how you learn.

The power routing turnout, reversing loop, and track power questions all remain the same if you convert to DCC. You would not, however, have to worry about dividing your layout into blocks to run multiple trains, nor about being able to create "dead" sections to park locos, though.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Another query, will the aforementioned still apply if i convert to DCC? Sorry if all this sounds innane, I have absolutely zero knowledge of model railways, my experience over the last50 years has all been slotcars.
You would need to modify the turnouts for DCC:(

A DCC loco needs constant power and polarity as I know it. We need a DCC expert to chime in, but if you think DCC is in your future, do not use off the shelf Hornby turnouts. If a DCC engine is on a siding that goes dead, the engine will shhut down, meaning no sound at a minimum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts