Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I purchased a Gantry crane and the controller didn't have a "lock" for the magnet. So I purchased an older model control which had the lock option. After spending a couple hours tracing leads and trying to match the action from the wiring of the controls then trying different combinations to try to get it to work I got nothing. I know the crane works with the new model controller, and after getting frustrated with the wiring I just put the new model controller back in. But I REALLY want to get the old model version working.

The pics attached are the controllers and their associated solder points/circuit boards.

I'm a NOVICE when it comes to wiring, so any help in basic pictures or drawings would genuinely be appreciated. THANK YOU! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I wanted to do that once for the same reason (no magnet lockj and was advised by a repair expert that they were incompatible. IIRC it was a power issue. I will see if I can find his response.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It appears the two are indeed not compatible. If you look at the newer controller you'll note there are four diodes that become part of the motor circuits when the levers are engaged. (Diagram attached) Those diodes are missing from the older controller. My guess is the motors are also different between the newer crane and the one that the older controller was attached to originally.

You may want to consider a physical modification to the newer controller that allows you to lock the magnet control in place temporarily. But first, you may wish to consider the downside of a magnet that overheats (and they do get hot) if you neglect to turn it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears the two are indeed not compatible. If you look at the newer controller you'll note there are four diodes that become part of the motor circuits when the levers are engaged. (Diagram attached) Those diodes are missing from the older controller. My guess is the motors are also different between the newer crane and the one that the older controller was attached to originally.

You may want to consider a physical modification to the newer controller that allows you to lock the magnet control in place temporarily. But first, you may wish to consider the downside of a magnet that overheats (and they do get hot) if you neglect to turn it off.
Really hoping that's not the case, the motors can't be that different right? And then the leads seem like they'd engage the same action, isn't it just a matter of connecting the circuit to move the crane? Again, I'm a novice so I'm asking questions to learn something here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts