Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellers, even with 50 years in the hobby there are just things I don't care to pay attention to.

A buddy found a train set in pristine condition and little wear.

Here is a quote from the email sent to me:

"......The box says Steam Line
Army Train
Steam Type
Electrical Train

Made in the USA by
Louis Marx & Co
New York Office 200 Fifth Avenue
Remote Control

The set includes the locomotive, 11 rail cars, some trucks, autos, a plane and several guns and cannons, as well as shells for one of the cannons. It includes a lot of track, and a cloth army tent with metal supporting poles. The locomotice says "Army Supply Train 500", and of course it is made of metal and is olive drab in color. It has the "tab and slot" type of couplers.
One thing I have noticed about this train is that the locomotive is a "2""4""2" wheel configuration instead of the 0 4 0 set up that I saw on all the similar trains I looked up online.
It appears to have had very little use, the brass contacts on the locomotive are barely worn, and there is very little wear to the cars and accessories.
I think this train was in my mothers family for years. She and her 4 sisters and 5 brothers were all in the military in WWII and there is a plague with all their names on it inside the battleship Alabama........"

Bob

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I just threw away an identical transformer about 6 months ago. T-Man, before your blood-pressure goes up...*L*...it was covered with rust, inside and out. every bit of insulation was crumbling, including the paper in the coil. It wasn't fit to be a doorstop!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Steve, my buddy with the train, sent me the exact link on "liveauction". I also received a reply from a fella that "owns" the Marx yahoo Group. I'm hoping to get my "grubbies" on the set should Steve decide to sell it. I may have to build a new wall for displays only.

Between guns, boats, cars, trains, and fishing tackle, this collecting bit is driving me to the poor farm!!!!!

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts