Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am trying to get my display light working... I am running a Railpower 1300 powerpack.. it has terminals for the track and terminals for the accessories.
input 120 vac 60 hz output 15 vdc 19 vac.. (I have no idea what that really means) I have some small grain of rice lights that I purchased to place here and there in tunnels and around the track.....

Series ? or Parallel ?

when I run direct of the power pack in series, the lights are very dim... when I run of power pack in parallel the lights are very very bright.

I went to radio shack and purchased a resistor 1/2 watt 5% (no clue what that means) but the sales person said it should work...

I have linked the resistor between my hot wire from powerpack.. and hooked it up to the wiring that is run in parallel with all the lights..... so I am more clear...one incoming hot wire to resistor to multiple lights hooked up in parallel.. (make any sense?) anyway... the lights are dimmer as I would hope..... BUT the resistor is like super hot..... I noticed faint smoke coming from the area where the reistor is located.. I turned the whole thing off untill I figure out what I have done wrong here....... Please if you have any suggestion..... let me know... I can snap pics if you like..... I just do not want to burn the place down........ thank you in advance..... Cope... Pics to follow.....

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
You want to run lights of AC. 19 volts. What are the bulb's voltage?
12 volts? USe a 270 ohm resistor with a bulb in series. THe lights need to be wired in parallel. Or try to get a good 12 volt DC power supply. You did well so far from the looks of the table. I am surprised a few lights are kicking you.
That, is just the reason for questions here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the set up

I think I cured the problem... I went to radio shack and bought a plug in transformer... have all the lights hooked to it and it works perfect... thanks for the help and suggestions.... Cope... here is a picture of the set up so far... size 10 x 6 foot and the fish tank is a 140 gallon saltwater coral reef tank the tank in the center is a 50 gallon turtle tank I have 3 turtles and off to the left a live water fall feeds the tank from the sump filter..... water fall not running in this pic... I have been working on this for a while about 6 months... I just now got it to where I can let the trains run all day without a derail..... have 2 trains worth 400 bucks that derailed and are now trash...... live and learn... Oh well.... enjoy the picture..Cope..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Hi Cope,

That's a very 3-Dimensional layout ... nicely creative. I hope the locos aren't derailing into the turtle pool! What's the radius on those spirals? Looks quite tight to me.

Thanks for posting/sharing this with us.

Just curious,

TJ

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
curves

the HO radius are 48 inch circle...... I think it calculates to 22 - 24 Degrees,.,, I am not sure.... the top track is N scale and that radius is 37" for the large Helix and 20 for the small turn around.... fixing to upload a video... check back shortly

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Very impressive, Cope! May I suggest a Shamu that leaps at the train as it passes?

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Hey Cope,

I didn't realize until your earlier post that you were running both N and HO.

Thanks much for the video link ... that's a really awesome layout ... very unique and creative with the multi-level helixes, etc. It's almost futuristic/spacelike in nature, with the "air" loops.

Do keep us posted on your ongoing progress ... this is really enjoyable to see this "not your typical flatland" layout take form.

TJ

·
Registered
356 Posts
That is awesome cope!!!

Are those red ear slider turtles? I used to have a couple red ear sliders... had to give them up because I didn't have the space to get a tank large enough for what they needed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes those are red eye sliders... there is 3 in that tank... and they are growing..... I will have to replace them with smaller ones soon...... I will trade them in at the pet store....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts