Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for LEDs to replace grain of wheat bulbs on my Madison observation car. I pulled the bulb from the drumhead, measured it and got some 3mm prewired flangeless LEDs. I should have also pulled the markers because they are 2mm or 1.8mm. I don’t think drilling out the hole on the markers is an option. I want to insert them in the holes where the grain of wheat bulbs went. Here are a few pics of where they will go.

I’m looking for 2mm or 1.8mm, round head, flangeless, 12 volt, prewired, white, non-flashing LEDs.

I have looked on ebay, mouser and digikey. Didn't find anything on ebay that filled the bill and I don’t know enough to drill down to what I want on mouser or digikey. A link to the correct LED would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, but I think the flange will keep it from going far enough into the hole to light all sides of the lantern. There might be something else I can use there though.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I think I would use micro LED's. I had a small HO switcher with a headlight housing too small. I took two micro LED's and stuffed them in. They are flat and square but bright enough so aiming them was not necessary.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You can sand off the flange if you are careful. You can also sand some of the top if necessary.

Call Dave at Evan Designs and he will tell you what you need. I think a chip LED will work. We replaced the same type of bulb in switch stands with chips and they work well.

But Dave is the expert.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got around to wrapping up this little project. I used the JWA regulator for the passenger compartment. For the markers and drumhead, I fed track power to a $2 Evan Designs regulator to power 3 of their double sided nano LEDs in parallel.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Checking Evans website I didn't see the nano and pico LEDs specifically mentioned as double sided. Are they all double sided or did you just fasten two together back to back?
Thats not a bad deal. I don't think I would want to try to solder wires to those chips.

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts