Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I started trying to get some of the trains my dad gave me working again. I have a 224 engine that when I put it on the track it will just sit there and make a buzzing sound. Sometimes it will move but it wont go for long before it stops and starts buzzing. Now to get it to move I just start moving the reversing lever while giving the track power and it will start moving. The other way I can get it to start moving is to put it on the track and keep fliping the direction swich on my transformer.

Here is what I have done to try to fix the problem.

Clean the commutator and brushes
checked all the wires for breaks in the wire coating
re-soldered some questionable connections
cleaned, checked and re-checked the track

I think the buzzing sound is coming for the reverseing unit I can't tell for sure but when I ran it on the track withouth the shell it sure sounded like it was that making the noise. On a lighter note I got everything else working (milk car, cattle car, oil derrick, and a coal dump thingy mabob)

·
Yard Master & Research
11,774 Posts
e unit

Check that the drum rotates and the connections are clean. Thread on the drum.

Also post number 4 here.

The Olsen Library has the electrical diagram too. Not much difference between the 224 and the 224e. You can also reference the 2026,2018,2016, they are all similiar.
Though not a simple task you can rebuild them, by changing the drum and the two contact plates.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the train to work I don't know what I did most likely dumb luck. Can anyone tell me how to properly oil this train or tell me where I can find a lube chart ?

I am now having a problem with it losing power around a certain area on the track. Its hard to see in the video but it slows down where the caboose is and speeds back up where the milk car is. If I change the direction of the train it does the same thing but slows where the milk car is and speeds up where the caboose is. I changed the track in that area and cleaned it (again) but it still does it.

The train also doesnt seem have enough power to pull all of the cars I have (the ones its pulling plus the 4 in the center. Am I trying to pull to many cars? I did oil all of the trucks and wheels on the cars so I don't think thats the problem. I know in the pics the track looks real rusty but the rails and the connections are clean. It took me 6 hours the clean that little bit of track so I could use it. My volt meter is in my tool box at work so I can't test any thing till tuesday night.

I am also taking advice on how to clean track. I am about to run it all through my sandblaster at work. Any ideas are welcome.

·
Yard Master & Research
11,774 Posts
I reference the basic 027 manual http://www.thortrains.net/manualx.htm. For oil, the heavier the better. Lithium grease is fine for the gears.

Your rolling stock may be heavy. Some gondolas from the prewar era are very heavy cars. Check all the wheels for an easy spin and oil them.

The cycling from the e unit may have been enough to clear the contacts. At this point running the engine is the best thing to do after you oil it.

Power lacks normally farthest from the transformer. So run another power line to the far side of the track. Just don't cross the wires. Bad track may need leads every 8 feet.

The 224 is a nice old engine, I lost one in an auction once and it took years before I got around to get one. Now I have 2 and 1/2.

We don't see too many accesories here so please show them off.
I have a horse corral that need attention, some day.

Use scotch brite on the track. A wire wheel will work too.

To link a video from you tube. Alll you need is the video id number between the symbols.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
:eek::eek::eek: Somebody get the towels ready. TJ and BigEd will be by to "Drool" soon:laugh::laugh:

Nice trains and accessories:thumbsup:
With a little bit of elbow grease and reading all the "How To's" and assorted other postsing in the "O" section, you'll be having a blast in no time!!

Keep us posted with picks of your progress and don't hesitate to ask questions. When you do need some help, pictures posted with question often save time identifying the problem!:laugh::laugh:

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can anyone tell me what these are and where they go? When I took the engine out of the 224 they were laying in the shell I almost forgot about them in my excitment of getting the train working. I can't figure for the life of me where they go.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
can anyone tell me what these are and where they go? When I took the engine out of the 224 they were laying in the shell I almost forgot about them in my excitment of getting the train working. I can't figure for the life of me where they go.
Here :)

Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Car

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your help. Heres a update I got the automatic milk car to work. The instructions I was reading said to use 10 volts to operate the milk car but I think that was wrong. I shot a milk can clear across my basement. LOL It actually worked pretty good once I turned it down. I even have 3 milk cans for it. Now I just have to figure out how to make the cattle loader work.

·
Premium Member
16,683 Posts
Chllngr,

Thanks for posting all of your great stuff here. Excellent old set & accessories! You must be thrilled to have gotten the 224 loco running again!

T-Man ... you say not much difference between the 224 and the 224E. So, does that imply that the 224 DOES have an e-unit?

If so, then Chllngr, make sure you understand the sequence of a standard drum-style e-unit. As one powers (throttles) up and down, the solenoid plunger in the e-unit moves up and down, and engages a little finger that turns a pick-up drum 1/8 of a turn. As the drum changes orientation, current to the motor is redirected as follows: forward-neutral-reverse-neutral, etc. The point here is this: if you happen to be on a neutral position, the loco won't run. Also, each e-unit has a toggle lever (usually through the top of the loco shell) that can disengage the e-unit. The drum is left in whatever position it last held. Forward. Or reverse. Or neutral ... again, here, the loco won't run.

It sounds like your 224 is now running fine, but make sure you understand the logic/sequence of the e-unit.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I have another question. When I shift my train to nuetral is it suppose to make a buzzing sound while I am sending power to the track so I can operate my cars?
I really do appreciate everyones help, I know NOTHING about these trains. The only reason I knew how to clean engine is because I am a heavy equipment mech and I have rebuilt plenty of alternaters, generators and starters. But thats about the extent of my knowledge. After I get all the bugs out of this train I have another NY central my dad found ( so I now have two sets of NYC trains) with astra dome cars I need to get running. I am going to have to completely replace the E-unit on that train because one of the little wires coming of coil thing is broke and I cant re-attach it so stay tuned.:D

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Ok I have another question. When I shift my train to nuetral is it suppose to make a buzzing sound while I am sending power to the track so I can operate my cars?
This is usual behavior... It is just the noise of the plunger vibrating inside of the electromagnet... With all of the e-units I have experienced, only one has been quiet :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,618 Posts
:eek::eek::eek: Somebody get the towels ready. TJ and BigEd will be by to "Drool" soon:laugh::laugh:

Nice trains and accessories:thumbsup:
With a little bit of elbow grease and reading all the "How To's" and assorted other postsing in the "O" section, you'll be having a blast in no time!!

Keep us posted with picks of your progress and don't hesitate to ask questions. When you do need some help, pictures posted with question often save time identifying the problem!:laugh::laugh:

Regards,
Jim

I drooling over the custom fancy bulbs.:laugh::thumbsup:

You got to get yourself a green scotch brite pads and clean up the track.:D

Look in the how to do it here,.... there's track cleanup in it somewhere.

Look for the correct bulbs too.:D

Hows the cows walk around? OK? I was just reading an article from the 90's on tuning that up.

Take me a bit to find it though.
I won 27 O gauge magazines from the late 90's and early 2000, for 99 cents. $5.50 to ship. Good deal there's a lot of good articles in them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I drooling over the custom fancy bulbs.:laugh::thumbsup:

You got to get yourself a green scotch brite pads and clean up the track.:D

Look in the how to do it here,.... there's track cleanup in it somewhere.

Look for the correct bulbs too.:D

Hows the cows walk around? OK? I was just reading an article from the 90's on tuning that up.

Take me a bit to find it though.
I won 27 O gauge magazines from the late 90's and early 2000, for 99 cents. $5.50 to ship. Good deal there's a lot of good articles in them.
Most of my track will need to be complety restored. It is EXTREMELY rusty.
What do people use to re-insulate the tracks?

So those lights are not suppose to be painted? It doesnt suprize me if my dad painted them.

I have not test my cattle corral. Its in pretty good shape but I can't find the right controller. I still have some boxes to go through though. I would be interested in what the article says.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I have all the bugs worked out of this train. It runs like a champ. I made the track a little bigger and ran a booster to the farthest part of the track and it tows all the cars without a problem. Somtimes it will start spinning on the corners but thats it. The only thing thats left is the whistle. Where is the whistle located? Does this even have one? I really hope its not in the tender because its empty. Thanks

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.